Insurance claim on lease vehicle

Hello everyone,

I recently wrote off my car in an accident. The vehicle was a 3 year PCH lease with no option to buy at the end and the accident was 11 months
    into my contract. I put down an initial 3.5k deposit and I was paying £433 per month.

The insurance company valued the car at around £28k which I accepted as fair, however the finance company only wanted £23.5k which I assumed reflected their valuation
    minus the amount I had already paid off(£3.5k + 11x£433 = £8356)

The insurance company paid the £23.5 requested by the lease company (minus my £700 excess)and then told me the matter was closed as I don't own the vehicle and therefore
    not entitled to any of the difference.

While that makes sense to me I just want to check if that is actually true. I probably would not have accepted the figure and pushed for repairs had I known
    I would be left short, considering I need to put another initial payment down for a new car if I want to lease another vehicle again. I'm also assuming the premium
    I was charged by my insurance company reflected the amount I would receive if my vehicle was written off.

Do I have any claim to the £5k difference or not?

Thanks
  • 2 Replies

Sorry, I don’t know but am interested to hear the answer…

I DO know that if the payout was insufficient, you’d be liable for the difference…so why shouldn’t the rules be the same when you stand to benefit??

Seems like a case of moving the goalposts, have their cake and eat it, etc ….
    OP, the car wasn't yours, you were just renting it. The owner has been paid, and seems happy.