Child in front with active airbag?

Hello, I have hired a van to move house and need to drive from France to UK with my 4 year old in the front seat in a front facing child car seat. I have just been told that it is not possible to switch off the airbag. This is what I have done previously when having to put him in the front. Can anyone tell me if it is safe and legal to have him in the front with an active airbag? I believe it is not.... but getting conflicting info when researching online. I leave on Wednesday so need urgent advice! Thanks!!
  • 4 Replies

• Best Answer

Best Answer
    Hello, I have hired a van to move house and need to drive from France to UK with my 4 year old in the front seat in a front facing child car seat. I have just been told that it is not possible to switch off the airbag. This is what I have done previously when having to put him in the front. Can anyone tell me if it is safe and legal to have him in the front with an active airbag? I believe it is not.... but getting conflicting info when researching online. I leave on Wednesday so need urgent advice! Thanks!!
    This UK site says its safe and legal:

"You mustn’t use a rear-facing child seat on a passenger seat where an active passenger airbag is fitted, because the child's head will be too close to the airbag, risking severe injury or death if the bag is triggered.
    It’s OK to leave the airbag active for forward-facing-seats but you should move the car's seat back on its runners as far as it will go. Do check your car handbook for model specific advice though as airbag size and performance does vary."

However, it may be different dans la France.
    I think the law is pretty much the same in France:

Passengers/Children in cars: Children under the age of 10 are not permitted to travel on the front seats of vehicles unless there are no rear seats, the rear seats are already occupied by children under 10 or there are no seat belts. In these circumstances, a child must not be placed in the front seat with their back to the road if the vehicle is fitted with a passenger airbag unless it is deactivated. They must travel in an approved child seat or restraint adapted to their size.

A baby up to 13kg must be carried in a rear-facing baby seat.

and a child from 15kg up to 10 years old can use a booster seat with a seat belt or a harness.

From this, I think that your four-year-old can be in a forward-facing seat (with the seat pushed back as far as it will go).
    Community Manager
    Great answers from both of you @Beelzebub and @Santa