Illegally parked car

Hi all, I was hoping to get a bit of advice. Last Fri my wife was at the hospital and because of an illegally parked car had to to a tight manoeuvre and eventually hit the car. Literally 5 mins passed before she got parked and went back up to leave details but the car was gone. Eventually got a phone call last night from the police and spoke to the owner today. He said there was damage to the bumper, wing and broken headlamp but absolutely no damage what so ever to our car and I went over it with a fine tooth comb. Now he says it's not his car it's his brother in laws and has trade insurance. He also wants to avoid going threw the insurance which to me is fishy. I've asked for photos of the damage etc but something doesn't feel right as whats to him as its my insurance that covers it. Surely if there was broken headlamps, damage to bumpers and wings Surely there would be damage to mine. Is this that yeah I'll get it fixed send me the money or should I say to hell with it and let the insurance deal with it .thanks for any help in advance.
  • 8 Replies

• Best Answer

Best Answer
    Never agree to resolve an issue privately rather than go through insurance.
    Been there, done that and it cost me.
    If you are in some areas of Scotland, and the areas are expanding, and you park on the pavement, the grass verge, block a driveway or double park, it's now a 100 pound fine.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifest...ained-32498968
    Yes, you must leave it to the insurance companies to resolve. I agree that it sounds pretty scammy.

The whole brother-in-law's trade insurance also sounds fishy. There are strict rules about trade insurance which are frequently flouted.

I should in fairness, add that the fact of the other car being "illegally" parked is no mitigation. I used to work for the NHS and parking around hospitals is a nightmare, but no matter how badly a car is parked, it doesn't mean that it's okay to damage it.
    I should in fairness, add that the fact of the other car being "illegally" parked is no mitigation

A relative, while in the police, was told to investigate an incident where a mobility scooter scraped quite a nice car that was illegally parked, leaving very little room for her to get her scooter past

Nothing happened to the scooter user but the driver was offered a ticket for their parking

That said I realise this isn't representative...I accept they may have used some discretion, because the news story of "police prosecute disabled lady who tried to pass illegally parked Porsche" wouldn't paint the Police in the best light!! 😁
    I accept they may have used some discretion because the news story of "police prosecute disabled lady who tried to pass illegally parked Porsche" wouldn't paint the Police in the best light!! 😁

I am sure you are correct. My wife has been sorely tempted to "accidentally" scratch cars that block her wheelchair's progress.

In my time as an NHS manager, I had to give a driver an official warning after he scraped his van down the side of a car parked on double yellows in hospital grounds. As you might imagine, he was most aggrieved and the union was involved, but to no avail.
    Long story short. Fire services called. Road inaccessible due to illegally parked cars. Fire truck with monster bumpers arrives. Forces a path through. Fire engine follows. Police arrive. Police issue NIPs to all car owners for obstructive parking. Magistrates very busy dealing. End result: people with damaged cars and fines, not happy. Same road now full of paved front gardens, cars parked off road. I saw the original event from petrol station whilst filling up, and followed up through curiosity.
    @NMNeiltold him I was going through the insurance, haven't heard from him since. Surprise surprise.
    @Md01

Hopefully, that will be the end of it, but we have seen cases where insurance claims pop up a long time after the event.
    It's frustrating when a car is parked in front of my house without asking. Not only does it inconvenience me, but it also restricts my ability to use the space for my own needs. It's a common courtesy to consider the impact of your parking choices on others, especially in residential areas where parking can be limited. Communication is key – if you need to park in front of someone's house, it's polite to ask for permission first. Respecting each other's space fosters a sense of community and goodwill. So next time, before parking in front of someone's house, think about how you would feel if the roles were reversed.