Automatic full beams

Six months into having my new car and I discovered a new button while fiddling around waiting at a level crossing. According to the manual I apparently have automatic full beams.

Waited for dark and went out for no reason other than to test them, switched them on and nervously waited for a car to approach, expecting nothing to happen (my usual experience of new tech) and to get angrily flashed at

They actually work brilliantly, very quick to react to oncoming cars and street lights, and they detect the rear lights of a car if you come up behind someone. I had to intervene once as they apparently don’t sense a car side-on i.e. somebody waiting to pull out of a side road

I know I’ve been living under a rock. No real point to this thread except to perhaps ask if others have ever come across a feature well into ownership of a particular car they didn’t know they had?
  • 1 Reply

Ha ha! It took me over a year to find all the driver variable settings on my car. That last one, some four years after buying it, was the hidden ability to set the driver's side mirror to angle down when engaging reverse. Attaching a computer could make many other changes, but I lack the confidence for that.

I found a great FB group for my Mondeo Mk5, maybe your car has a good forum for sharing information.