AI robot to identify and fill in potholes in Hertfordshire

A robot which uses artificial intelligence (AI) to identify potential potholes is to be tested on public roads in Hertfordshire.

The Autonomous Road Repair System (ARRES) robot identifies cracks or holes and fills them to stop surface water getting in.

Tech firm Robotiz3d and the University of Liverpool developed the robot in partnership with the county council.

It will be sent out by the council's highways team later this year.

Full story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-67934795
  • 15 Replies

Those photos remind me of the Top Gear Thrust thing.
    Community Manager
    Good timing @Santa and it looks like we'll need all the help we can get.
    Latest RAC findings on pothole-related breakdowns up by a third year on year (2023 compared to 2022).

I don't know if anyone else's council has already started making noises about being short of cash and need to put council tax up again this year? And I'm pretty sure potholes won't be v high priority
    Welcome to the RAC Community! Start here ๐Ÿ˜€
    You can say hi and introduce yourself too ๐Ÿ‘‹
    What should you do after a collision? ๐Ÿค”
    Got a question or want to start a discussion? Create a new post here. โœ
    Looking for info? Start with a new search. ๐Ÿ”
    @Santa Looking at the link it seems the robot will only squirt a sealant in the cracks, but for larger potholes it will be much the same, a few orange cones put around the pothole and 6 months later both the cones and pothole are still there ๐Ÿคจ
    @NMNeil

I think the important words in that report are "potential potholes"

They do not generally appear overnight, but start as a small crack allowing water penetration. Traffic passing over the damage makes it worse until the structure breaks down.

Hopefully, machines like this will seal the initial cracks before they have time to develop
    Good point.
    So it will just locate and put sealant into the cracks as one lane of the M1/M4/M25 is closed to allow it to trundle along squirting sealant. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Community Manager
    https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mot...in-five-years/

"just 4% of the 17,853 miles of A roads maintained by councils in England were resurfaced or given life-extending preservation treatment in the last financial year."

Across the UK, many local councils are struggling for cash and it seems that road maintenance across England has hit a new low point.

I have to admit that I have caught myself steering around the occasional pothole more than once recently. If things continue, perhaps my local drive to the supermarket could soon resemble a slalom.

Thanks,
    Mark.

Welcome to the RAC Community! Start here ๐Ÿ˜€
    You can say hi and introduce yourself too ๐Ÿ‘‹
    What should you do after a collision? ๐Ÿค”
    Occasional pothole?
    Around here some of the roads look like they have been used by the Air Force for bombing practice ๐Ÿ™„
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJX_yvwwTEo
    Some of the more rural roads I frequently drive on have actual holes in them that look up to a foot deep. A couple of roads are so peppered with holes it's not a question of avoiding them but choosing which potholes look the least bad, and aiming for those ones...

Just my opinion, but I can cope with an "uncomfortable" road surface-I don't expect it to be smooth like a race track, but "dangerous" is not acceptable!
    I lost two tyres and wheels in the now-patched potholes on the road from the water tower on the A1 to Potton. (Lorry came round a bend toward me on the white line, so I moved to the extreme left-hand side of the road, not realizing that the road had collapsed there.)
    Potholes

Please report all potholes through FixMyStreet, this is the only way to ensure authorities are liable if subsequent damage is incurred!

Please support my petition to help make authorities accountable!

https://www.change.org/PotHoleReportOnLine
    Community Manager
    Please report all potholes through FixMyStreet, this is the only way to ensure authorities are liable if subsequent damage is incurred!

Take a look at this RAC article. It includes more information about reporting potholes through FixMyStreet, claiming compensation if your vehicle is damaged as well as data from studies which document the pothole problem around the UK.

"If your car is damaged by a pothole, you may be able to claim compensation. The chances of being successful in claiming compensation will significantly depend on whether the pothole has already been reported."
    @Mark07 Thanks Mark
    I think that as long as it's cheaper for authorities to pay out for damage caused rather than proactively repair roads then little will change, and of course if they can minimise sucessful claims through a traffic act defence then nothing will change.
    When you damage your car you have no way of confirming if the hole is reported or not! do you take their word for it?
    The petition is to enforce visibility of reports and so give a legal defence in reply for a claim for damages.
    On another note, i wonder how fixmystreet stands from a legal perspective as a failure between them and the authority may give a getout opportunity! or an anonymous report not carry as much clout!
    @rsa2712 Problem is the local Council had a get out of jail card they can use.

(1)In an action against a highway authority in respect of damage resulting from their failure to maintain a highway maintainable at the public expense it is a defence (without prejudice to any other defence or the application of the law relating to contributory negligence) to prove that the authority had taken such care as in all the circumstances was reasonably required to secure that the part of the highway to which the action relates was not dangerous for traffic.

(2)For the purposes of a defence under subsection (1) above, the court shall in particular have regard to the following matters:โ€”

(a)the character of the highway, and the traffic which was reasonably to be expected to use it;

(b)the standard of maintenance appropriate for a highway of that character and used by such traffic;

(c)the state of repair in which a reasonable person would have expected to find the highway;

(d)whether the highway authority knew, or could reasonably have been expected to know, that the condition of the part of the highway to which the action relates was likely to cause danger to users of the highway;

(e)where the highway authority could not reasonably have been expected to repair that part of the highway before the cause of action arose, what warning notices of its condition had been displayed;

but for the purposes of such a defence it is not relevant to prove that the highway authority had arranged for a competent person to carry out or supervise the maintenance of the part of the highway to which the action relates unless it is also proved that the authority had given him proper instructions with regard to the maintenance of the highway and that he had carried out the instructions.

(3)This section binds the Crown.

Highways act 1980 Section 58.

And the courts have made decisions that set precedent over the years.

• "Everyone must take into account of the fact there maybe unevenness here and there." Meggs v Liverpool Corporation 1968.
    • "A highway is not to be criticised by the standards of a bowling green." (Littler v Liverpool Corporation 1968).
    • The best illustration is in Mills v Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council 1992, where the court said: "It is important that our law should not impose unreasonably high standards, otherwise scare resources should be diverted from situations where maintenance and repair of the highway is more urgently needed."
    • "This branch of the law ought to represent a sensible balance of compromises between private and public interest."
    @NMNeil Thanks

I think that as long as it's cheaper for authorities to pay out for damage caused rather than proactively repair roads then little will change, and of course if they can minimise sucessful claims through a traffic act defence then nothing will change.
    When you damage your car you have no way of confirming if the hole is reported or not! do you take their word for it?
    The petition is to enforce visibility of reports and so give a legal defence in reply for a claim for damages.
    On another note, i wonder how fixmystreet stands from a legal perspective as a failure between them and the authority may give a getout opportunity! or an anonymous report not carry as much clout!

In summary if this were sucessfull and you report all known defects, then those who suffer damages can claim with a legal defence if necessary!
    Otherwise we take them at their word and foot the costs, the current stats on successfull claims are shocking, makes you wonder at their replies where there is a loss of life or serious injury!
    Regards
    Richard