Using a reversing camera on a test?

Hi there, I am learning to drive at 57, my car a Nissan Leaf has a reversing camera. As I am disabled and have limited neck movement I am already using a special rear view mirror and have small convex mirrors on my wing mirrors but I also find the rear view cam very useful. My instructor is not sure whether it is allowed. Anyone know?
  • 8 Replies

Hi

There is no problem with using a reversing camera, or additional mirrors.

However, you are expected to turn round and look backwards when reversing, and not to rely on mirrors etc. (see Highway Code rule 202). If your disability prevents you from doing this, and you have to depend on non-standard mirrors etc., then when you pass they may issue you with a licence to drive only suitably adapted vehicles. It is difficult to be more specific, since every disability is different.

You should mention your restrictions when booking the test.

Good luck!

BTW your instructor should know all this.
    Thanks for that. Yes I have recognizable disabilities and the DVLA are aware of them, they put a code on my Provisional license. One question, if I use the reversing camera will it go down as a code on my license and then every car I get has to have one? I guess I could get by on the mirrors but the cam is helpful.
    Thanks for that. Yes I have recognizable disabilities and the DVLA are aware of them, they put a code on my Provisional license. One question, if I use the reversing camera will it go down as a code on my license and then every car I get has to have one? I guess I could get by on the mirrors but the cam is helpful.

As I said, difficult to be definitive. I guess it will depend on whether the examiner judges that you need it.

I'd suggest you pop into your local test centre before your test and have a chat with the examiners. They're normally very helpful, but you may have to wait around a bit until one is free to talik.
    What ever you do then, don't sit the advanced driving test, as in that they made me reverse back about thirty feet, then reverse around a corner at the end of that!.........................While keeping both hands in the wheel, my neck was really sore for a few weeks after that test!........................The examiner opens the passenger door to check that you stay within six inches of the kerb, during the whole manoeuvre!........................Good luck with your test.
    This whole business of turning your head round annoys me. For decades I have reversed trucks' rigid and bendy, without any possibility of seeing anything that isn't in the mirrors. Opening the door and leaning out would be a test fail. If you are not sure - get out and walk round.

For many years we had two cars on our rather steep drive. Mine faced up on the left and my wife reversed in as close to the wall as she could get on her passenger side. This was so that both driver's doors opened into the centre. My wife has difficulty turning right round and managed perfectly well with properly adjusted mirrors. The reversing camera is useful, but for reversing round a corner (is that still part of the test?) give me a mirror every time.

Frankly i could not possibly turn right round with both hands still on the wheel.
    This whole business of turning your head round annoys me. For decades I have reversed trucks' rigid and bendy, without any possibility of seeing anything that isn't in the mirrors. Opening the door and leaning out would be a test fail. If you are not sure - get out and walk round.

For many years we had two cars on our rather steep drive. Mine faced up on the left and my wife reversed in as close to the wall as she could get on her passenger side. This was so that both driver's doors opened into the centre. My wife has difficulty turning right round and managed perfectly well with properly adjusted mirrors. The reversing camera is useful, but for reversing round a corner (is that still part of the test?) give me a mirror every time.

Frankly i could not possibly turn right round with both hands still on the wheel.

The main advantage of turning round is that you have the benefit of peripheral vision. With mirrors or cameras you only see the hazards actually in the field of vision - if you're looking back you'll see them earlier.

If you can't turn round for whatever reason, or have no rear window, then you don't have a choice, but you are at a disadvantage.

BTW hardly anyone finds it comfortable to turn round with both hands on the wheel. It is perfectly acceptable to steer with one hand when reversing, even on test.
    It's a thread bump, but this is something I have thought a lot about recently. In my 2009 Ford Focus it has a built in reversing camera hard wired to the head unit, it cannot be switched off. It seems to be a feature becoming more and more common on vehicles.

The only bit of information I can find on it is that they are allowed, but you should not be seen to be reliant on it.
    I was told, and I do agree, that when reversing you should not only be looking where you are going, but what is happening around you. So if you have difficulty looking directly, using additional mirrors shouldn't be a problem. I have met and spoken with people who have the same illness as myself and they passed their Tests OK without turning their heads.