Thread: saab 93 - can't turn ignition key

Question saab 93 - can't turn ignition key

I have a 06 plate saab 93 (1.9 turbodiesel) and I cannot turn te ignition keyat all.

The steering lock is not on (well, it wasn't but it is now after testing to check if it wason or not!!) and I believe the battery is dead as there is no power to lights etc in the car.

Would a dead battery also be the reason why I cannot turn the ignition key???!

not sure about system fitted to your Saab, but yes it could be due to a flat battery. Do the side lights work? Have you tried another key? Does the Remote function/central locking work?
    If no side lights/central locking then yes it sounds like a flat battery.

Hi,

The spare key doesn't work, no side lights and no remote locking either. Looks like I'll e getting a new battery in the morning then!

Ye sounds like the battery, but just to put a spanner in the works, worth getting it check out as could be alternator not charging the battery.

Default Saab 9-3 2004 canĀ“t turn ignition key or unlock doors

Hello did the battery solve your problem?
    I having same problem RANDOM.

cold starts always succeeds but when I trying to start. but if I go to the store 10-15 minutes, when I come back it doesent unlock door and the ignition doesent turn and no "click" when I put the key in ignition.

If it doesent start I wait for about 15-30minutes(sometime longer) and then I can start the car as usually.

I have changed the Ignition switch.(new one)
    checked the negative cable(they are ok).
    what is wrong with my car and why is it so random when it start and doesent start?

If you want more info read this.
    http://www.thesaabsite.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1472
    I really need to solve my random start issues.
    its an automatic.
    plz help....

Hi

Changing the battery sorted out my problem, but the alternator was also knackered so had to get that replaced also.