Thread: Things falling from trees.

Default Things falling from trees.

On Friday afternoon we were travelling along the main A426 at about 50 mph (single carriageway 60 mph limit) when there was an almighty thump on the windscreen. It was a horse chestnut; no damage done, just a reddish brown smear where it hit the screen. But the sound of the force was scary, and it wouldn't surprise me if a car windscreen did crack under such a blow. I am now wondering just how many horse chestnut trees do overhang roads, and if there have been broken windscreens due to falling chestnuts?

Had I been driving at the maximum limit of 60 mph, I wonder if the result could have been worse?
    The horse chestnut must be the worst tree in terms of weight/hardness of its fruit, unless anyone knows of worse offenders that overhang roads.
    Last edited by Snowball; 25-10-09 at 18:32. Reason: added comment.

I once got hit by an owl which was diving on prey at the side of the road. It was 03.00 and I was driving down the A9 to start my shift at 08.00, after being home for the weekend.

It made a helluva noise, and scared the **** out of me, but believe it or not, after I stopped to check, it sat there for a while shaking its head, then took off again

Last year, whilst on holiday and driving on a country lane in Cornwall, a buzzard swept across the road in front of us, wheeled around part of the hedgerow, then dived back just in front of my windscreen. I had just turned into the lane so wasn't travelling very fast.
    The bird was huge and I'm sure glad IT wasn't scared ****less, as I think I would have had to stop for a major windscreen cleaning operation!

On the subject of living creatures on the roads, what's the smallest thing you've stopped for?
    Once, on a country road in Wales, I stopped for a family of field mice which was crossing from one verge to the other. We often laugh about it, but I would do it again; subject to it being safe to do so.

More recently, I have slowed down for a line of stoats to finish crossing in front of me.

I remember one early Monday morning I was driving back down to my job at around 03.00 in the Highlands, I had to stop for,a highland cow, a badger,a horse that had got lose and a very large stag, that stood in the middle of the road, staring right at me, holding me up until its "family" had crossed the road

I thought I was in Disney world?

Smudger, I can beat your Highland cow.
    Quite a few years ago, again in Cornwall, we were driving by a farm when I had to brake hard as a cow came bolting out of the farmyard from my left.
    As it reached the road, and hooves skidding as it turned sharply, it passed very close along my nearside.

Unfortunately, the cow had just given birth, and a length of quite messy afterbirth slapped across my windscreen and nearside door pillar.

The farmer didn't even offer any facilities to clean my car and, by the time we got back to base, it had dried on and took a hell of a lot elbow grease to shift it. Yuk!

I had to smile some years ago when I saw an idiot deliberately swerve across the road to hit a pheasant, as the bird emerged from the underneath of the rear, it took his rear bumper off. About a mile further up, we came across matey parked on the verge with his car enveloped in a cloud of smoke. I can only assume it did some damage to the wiring on the way through.

I'm still getting teased six years on for braking to allow a vole across the road!

Highland coos - I just edge towards and if they don't move lean out the window or get out if there isn't a convenient to give a thump to - unless they've got calves in which case, patience is the order of the day. Stags I just don't argue with at any time.

Snowball, had to laugh at the buzzard situation! Frisa, the female white-tailed eagle that's been shown on TV many times, went through a phase a couple of years back of swooping down real low over the various nestwatchers' cars - she did it to me one morning coming down out of nowhere - she wasn't scared - she just went to a tree by the track and called - but I was - her wingspan is in excess of 8 feet!!! More than a fair few of us were unnerved in this way.

Goodun Snowball, I didn't know it was a competition
    Right then, can anybody beat Snowballs afterbirth?

(mind you that stag I met, was my best one)

Hey - didn't my post nastily - just that Frisa's exploits ended in a rather urgent unintended stop! It was more a laugh against me!