Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Residents' parking charges - another green tax!

Default Residents' parking charges - another green tax!

Firstly, apologies as I think there's another thread on this one (BIG THANK YOU TO MIKE & CO!)but, having got back to be able to post on the new style forum, can't get the search to work - Oh Well...!

From The Scotsman - regarding increasing residents' parking charges

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/th...959.jp#4539447

Queries:
    If a car is parked with the engine off, how is it contributing to emissions?
    Whilst two cars when resident in a city that does have reasonably good buses - ignoring the current tram chaos - might seem ott - what if one is a company car and the other a family car?
    If you live in the city and work there, but your hobby (or in an acquaintance's case, their hobby is a volunteer job monitoring wildlife on the Lothian coastline and Lammermuir Hills and a 4x4 is necessary), their vehicle only goes out of the city.

To my mind, this is just another way of collecting revenue under the green tax rip-off.

That is a legalised scam. Car owners are already charged variable VED rates for car tax by the government; and that's where it should end.
    We are soon going to have to pay extra for costs of developments of alternative energy. Are the same fiddling councils then going to come round and charge another levy based on something like the number/wattage of light bulbs, or size of TV?

Call it whatever tax you want but as the country is totally bankrupt, councils and government will do ANYTHING to collect more revenue. The council will get less from central government next April so shortfalls are going to be made up by tricks such as this one. They know we MUST have our car(s) so an easy target.
    And don't forget, if the population does increase as forecast by the Office of National Stastics at a rate of 400,000 per year, the councils will have worked out that this will be a nice earner as another 150,000 (my guess) cars will come on to the roads every 12 months.
    They are on a winner here.

A mate of ours who lives in Edinburgh, was planning to buy a car as his commute to work across the city was becoming expensive, even with a commuters discount.
    It was only when he discovered exactly how much his Parking Permit was going to cost him that he decided it was cheaper to stay with the expensive public transport

Well, that's stuffed my plans for retirement then. Only last night looking online at property in Edinburgh for my future retirement plans and having lived there in the 60s and 70s was going to go back. This stuff is scaring me off now! Looks like Lossiemouth is the only option, I hope they don't have a charge there....

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Well, that's stuffed my plans for retirement then. Only last night looking online at property in Edinburgh for my future retirement plans and having lived there in the 60s and 70s was going to go back. This stuff is scaring me off now! Looks like Lossiemouth is the only option, I hope they don't have a charge there....
    Better that than Craigmillar! How your horses, though, am trying to get better info!

Cheers!

Do the residents of Craigmillar actually PAY their permit charge?

im surprised they haven't brought in an excess charge if a household has more than one vehicle per driving license

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Call it whatever tax you want but as the country is totally bankrupt, councils and government will do ANYTHING to collect more revenue. The council will get less from central government next April so shortfalls are going to be made up by tricks such as this one. They know we MUST have our car(s) so an easy target.
    And don't forget, if the population does increase as forecast by the Office of National Stastics at a rate of 400,000 per year, the councils will have worked out that this will be a nice earner as another 150,000 (my guess) cars will come on to the roads every 12 months.
    They are on a winner here.
    This does not give licence to authorities to double up on levies. It is no better than a customer, whilst paying for groceries, to secrely steal extra items "because his/her income is critically tight".

Everyone needs to be vehemently opposed to these revenue surcharges because, once the principle is established, local and central government would be in a position to bleed us dry for cash to support their own bungling inefficiencies.

Then it would be "welcome to the Banana Republic of Britain".

Regards, Snowball.

A friend of mine lives local to Brunel University. When it was decided to charge the students £3 a day to park on Campus, the local roads became full of student's cars on both sides of the road, and the area was a nightmare to drive through. After numerous complaints to the Borough, it was agreed that Residents Parking would be used to combat the problem. So a mixture of white lines, yellow lines and parking areas were painted on the roads. The residents were then issued Permits, but only one per household. To park a second car, or, as in my case, a visitor permit, it costs £60pa. So as long as I pay £60pa, I can park on the road outside my friend's house. However, the parking restrictions only run from 8am to 5pm Mon to Fri, so it is free outside these hours. (I do not pay £60pa. I phone him before I leave home, and he puts his car on the road, and I use his drive.)