Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No spare wheel with new Peugeot?

Default No spare wheel with new Peugeot?

Since when was a spare wheel no longer considered a standard option? A new Peugeot is apparently only supplied with a compressor repair kit, and no spare wheel - you have to pay extra for a spare!
    What if the tyre is damaged?
    Can anyone comment on this?

There are a number of threads about no spare wheels. Try a search.

Default No spare wheel

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcorser View Post
    Since when was a spare wheel no longer considered a standard option? A new Peugeot is apparently only supplied with a compressor repair kit, and no spare wheel - you have to pay extra for a spare!
    What if the tyre is damaged?
    Can anyone comment on this?
    Don't buy one! Not all manufacturers have followed this stupid faashion, and the more people complain the more some others might change their corporate minds!

If you use to can of gunge to temporarily "repair" a punture you are going to need to buy a new tyre!

Well said.

So, what do you suggest instead?

From all the correspondence it seems to be generally accepted that the repair compressor is not a good idea - the Peugeot dealer have insisted that this is standard now on new Peugeots - so what leverage do we have, now that we have paid for the car? Will they take back the compressor and insist on an exchange for a spare wheel - the space is still there in the boot?

Sorry, I meant should we insist on them exchanging the repair compressor for a spare wheel?

Default Spare Wheels - AGAIN!

Sorry, I meant should we insist on them exchanging the repair compressor for a spare wheel?
    I just wouldn't buy the damned thing in the first place!

For example, Volvo offer you the choice, and my VW Passat came with a full size alloy spare (not a small factor in my decision to buy), unlike others I rejected (Mazda, BMW, for example).

So, what do you suggest instead?

From all the correspondence it seems to be generally accepted that the repair compressor is not a good idea - the Peugeot dealer have insisted that this is standard now on new Peugeots - so what leverage do we have, now that we have paid for the car? Will they take back the compressor and insist on an exchange for a spare wheel - the space is still there in the boot?
    If you have bought it, I think you are stuck. You can always purchase a spare wheel, possibly from a tyre place, I would not get one from the dealer on principle, or you could try at a car wreckers.

Default Spare

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    If you have bought it, I think you are stuck. You can always purchase a spare wheel, possibly from a tyre place, I would not get one from the dealer on principle, or you could try at a car wreckers.
    You could, except that I wouldn't go near a wrecker because you have no way of knowing the history of the wheel/tyre!!

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    You could, except that I wouldn't go near a wrecker because you have no way of knowing the history of the wheel/tyre!!
    You have no knowledge of the history of the wheel/tyre on a new car, but yes, I would not purchase a tyre from a wreckers but I think they are covered by the same rules as a tyre vendor. A pretty good test for a wheel alloy or steel is if it rings true (a pure tone) and not bent, it is ok.