Thread: At what point can you return/exchange a car if faulty?

Default At what point can you return/exchange a car if faulty?

Hi,

I'm not used to the whole buying new car process but I'm guessing it's not exactly the same as buying in the shops when it comes to faulty products...

In July I bought a new Honda Civic from a Honda dealer. 5 days later I had to bring it back as the seals on the tailgate were useless - water was leaking into the boot. They repaired this.

5 weeks later, possibly due to the work they carried out before, a rather important screw fell out of the tailgate because the fitting that held it in place had come loose. My tailgate was now not properly secured. Brought it in - they fixed it.

Now, I have an odd sound coming from the car when I start the engine and occasionally when driving. Could be nothing, could be something. I didn't think much of it until other people commented on it. I haven't mentioned it to the dealer yet but as you can guess I'm pretty fed up. I spend a fortune on a new car only to need repairs done to it straight away.

I know it has a 3 year warranty, but can one reasonably at any point return a car or exchange it if they have had to endure more than one fault early on? I can't see mention of it in the paperwork. I'm already considering selling it when the warranty runs out and I've only had it two months because I'm afraid I will be forking out a lot on repairs!

Hi Nathalie, welcome to the site, sorry about your problem. I don't think you can ask for a replacement car, unless it is not up to the purpose its been built for, well I think that the jargon the fair trade standards use?

As for selling it, you will find that it has dropped a fair bit in value, as they lose the highest % of value within the first year?

Just keep a record of every time you have had to take it back and why, as for that noise you say you heard, ask them have someone with you so that they can also hear it, they might be more helpful once they have done that.
    Good luck
    Cheers, Smudger.

I must admit that I don't see what grounds you have as yet to return the car. It is my experience that most cars have initial settling down problems, and I would put your faults in that category, and the dealer backup you seem to be receiving seems pretty good compared to what we usually hear. The engine noise needs investigating asap because as you say, it could be nothing, it could be something.
    Generally, if you have a problem which the dealer seems incapable of repairing, or you feel the repair is not up to standard, then simply take the car to the dealer, park it on his forecourt, and place all relevant paperwork and all keys on the desk of the Salesman. Explain you are returning the car as unfit, point out that you expect a full refund for purchase price, and walk out.

Legally, new cars are considered a special case, principally because a car looses so much value the moment it leaves the showroom. As long as they keep repairing it at no cost and offer you a courtesy car if yours is off the road for any length of time, they are in the clear. As Rolebama says it is normal to have a few niggles at first. Note the problems and if it goes on too long write to Honda but not yet.

Sorry, have only just seen your posts, I thought I got notified by email when I get replies?! lol anyway... ok I didn't realise it was normal for new cars to have a few niggles at first, I can be quite fussy, if I buy something new and pay good money for it I expect something of excellent quality in return. Having said that I do feel a bit better now as it seems it's not the case that I just got the dud car from the factory!

They have had two chances so far, if I get one more fault though I will be parking it on the forecourt. Niggles or no niggles I do find it unacceptable that we should have to endure that many faults on a new car.

nathalie many new cars have faults. Its just what happens. They are replacing the parts free of charge so dont complain really. You cant really 'return' a car technically as once you signed the dotted line its yours. As well as that they are doing everything possible to rectify the faults. the only time you can reject it is before you sign the paperwork i believe. If you find a scratch etc that may mean its not 100%
    I know its 'new' so it shouldnt have faults but cars do, hence the warranty!
    I own a fiat and although they have a poor reputation mines solid as a rock, i recently put newer springs on it and the salesman even commented that my car looked better than the original when I went to get it serviced a couple of weeks ago!

Sometimes when a new model is launched as well, some parts may not be 100%. They sometimes have recalls. This is rare mind. its just a trial and error process they are always trying to find better ways of build quality so there are no rattles and bumps.

Thanks, well it's my first new car so I don't really know what to expect, only that new normally means not falling apart lol. I've asked other people who have had new cars and they're somewhat surprised by the experiences I have had. In any case I was only curious about what return polices are on cars, I don't actually expect I would be able to return it (my boyfriend keeps telling me to return it but then again he buys audis and he's used to their kind of customer service). Nor do I particularly want to return it as I said before I love every other aspect of the car. I haven't complained to Honda, I have been really nice to them and understanding so far and I could tell they appreciated that as it was obvious they were completely embarrassed and surprised by the problems the car has. The other reason I'm not complaining obviously is that there is a warranty... when I will start complaining is when it runs out and I start having to pay for faults that shouldn't be there. Hopefully that won't happen.

I've just bought a second hand Ford KA from a dealer. I washed it and noticed now that it has previously been touched up extremely badly. I had previously checked the car before buying it but failed to see it. Does anyone have any idea if I can ask for compensation to fix it or return it?

I've not had the car 24 hrs and certainly wouldn't have bought it if I knew about the touch up with tippex!

Welcome to the site Kikki, I don't honestly think they will give you the response you want if you take the car back.

Thats the sort of thing you should pick up on when you look over the car before buying it, I'm afraid to say. I wish you good luck with it, and you never know, the dealer might help you out.