Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do traders not have to give a 3 month warranty if you buy a seperate one?

During my time working with the AA, the London Ambulance Service were members. I could not honestly believe the state of some of the vehicles I attended. That was, until I found that the fitters/mechanics were paid a bonus on what they did not spend maintaining them. As for selling them at six years old, I don't think I saw a Bedford (was it a Mountaineer? or something similar) less than six years old. Then the 'new' style came out and I was seeing them almost instantaneously.

We had Ford Transits, but were changing to Renaults because the front wheel drive allowed a lower rear entry. Drivers and passengers (these were not the 999 emergency jobs) preferred the ride in the Ford, but we needed a better wheelchair access than a tail lift.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    At the time a new ambulance, without equipment cost around 18k. We sold them at six years old for 200 - 250.
    They (the NHS or the trusts) keep them for longer than that these days, I believe. They sell on for something like 1,500 these days. A ten year old Renault Passenger transport Ambulance with 256,000 miles on the clock direct from the Governments agent starting the bidding at 1,500 plus VAT. that is current sort of prices.
    Last edited by Dennis W; 27-07-13 at 19:51.

Quote....."I found that the fitters/mechanics were paid a bonus on what they did not spend maintaining them."

Aye! that's true, the servicing on our ambulances was poor to say the least?

Ours were always breaking down, just patched up then put back on the road, only to break down again?

Smudger, I got sick and tired of seeing the same ones time and time again with the same problems. I would patch it up to enable it to be driven back to base, and if my temporary repair enable it to start for the next shift, out it would come. We were not authorized to fit new parts, so if a tap to the starter motor got it running, off it went. I took a wheel off one that was VOR'd with no brakes to keep one on the road, and could not believe the amount of hassle the LAS gave the AA for my doing so. I did it again a while later as some bright spark had decided to remove all the spares from the vehicles and lock them in a Depot. Again, lots of hassle. During my interview to determine what level of punishment I should receive for doing so, I stated that I was not prepared to work nights in the knowledge that there would be no Ambulance available should I receive an injury for whatever reason. I was never disciplined for my actions because it was decided the LAS were being too pedantic in their attitude to membership.

Perhaps this may be going even further off-topic, However that reminds me of the time that I visited the US Forces Vehicle "graveyard" at Molesworth. There was a nearly new airfield foam fire tender, all bright shining aluminium or chrome, but it had been rolled over. The story was that it had been delivered brand new to Alconbury or one of their other UK bases. Some of the fire fighting boys then decided it literally for a "spin" round the field to put it through its paces. They had rolled it over and it was a write off. So the US forces were disposing of it in their vehicle auction. Probably with just delivery mileage only on the clock.