Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of spare tyres

No spares are the bane of the Patrols lives.
    It isn't the owners fault that the car doesn't come with one (although some were convinced by a salesman not to get one, a decision they regret) and a surprising amount of Motability vehicles don't have them. Some cars just don't have the space for one (eg VW Touran).
    It's a sure fire bet that the tyre will have been kerbed or run flat which makes the goo they supply useless, and it'll be after Kwik Fit has closed for the night too.
    All Patrols carry a multifit wheel now, so if we can get it on our trailer we'll use that wheel and tow it. Not the best answer in the world, but a lot better than having nothing at all.
    The annoying cars are the ones with the space for a spare, but it's filled with a hugh polystyrene in-fill with the goo bottle and pump in it.

One option I have not seen mentioned is donít buy the car, there are plenty to choose from with a spare.

In Saudi, it is illegal to sell a new car without a proper spare wheel, and proper stowage for it. Why can't any of our Govts introduce this?

I had three no-spare incidents last week, and even though I've got a multifit wheel they were all on cars that couldn't be towed.

A Porsche (too low to tow) huge 305/30zr19 tyre, 3 hours spent dealing with it.
    A Smart Car (too small to tow) only one place in a city had a tyre, 2 hours wasted.
    A Pugeot 407 (too heavy to tow) doubled kerbing, 1 spare. Could only get one tyre in a reasonable time (2 hours!) but got back on the road.

Default Spare wheel

I've just had this discussion with a car salesman -
    "Oh, you don't really need a spare wheel"
    "Really? Why not? Can you guarantee I'll never get a puncture"
    "Well, no, course not, but it doesn't happen often"
    "So, if you can be so confident about the future, can you give me the correct six numbers for next week's Lotto?"
    "Well, you can always buy a spare"
    "What?! Why the **** should I have to?"
    "Because the car doesn't come with one"
    "Well it should; how much is leaving it out saving?"
    "I don't know"
    "I know how I can save a lot more"
    "How?"
    "Goodbye"

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    I've just had this discussion with a car salesman -
    "Oh, you don't really need a spare wheel"
    "Really? Why not? Can you guarantee I'll never get a puncture"
    "Well, no, course not, but it doesn't happen often"
    "So, if you can be so confident about the future, can you give me the correct six numbers for next week's Lotto?"
    "Well, you can always buy a spare"
    "What?! Why the **** should I have to?"
    "Because the car doesn't come with one"
    "Well it should; how much is leaving it out saving?"
    "I don't know"
    "I know how I can save a lot more"
    "How?"
    "Goodbye"
    Now if more people would do that we would have real spare wheels on cars.

Default No spare wheel

And I'm not saying what make it was but they have an excellent reputation for reliability (but presumably the same risk of a puncture as anyone else!) and "older" members may remember when the name was well known for light-bulbs!

Another problem with the tin of goo in the boot is that once the sealant is used an otherwise small repairable puncture is unrepairable, resulting in the purchase of a new tyre, for some us £150 isn't uncommon compared with a £10 repair, that's if it works.

What's the alternative- Run Flats??? another cost problem as they can't be repaired, they cost more, often aren't stocked in dealers and only allow you to drive 50 miles anyway.

after searching I was surprised a more puncture proof tyre hasn't been developed by now and then came across another type of goo which is added before the puncture occurs as a preventative measure. A product called puncturesafe coats the inner surface of the tyre with a viscous layer that instantly seals punctures as they happen and as long as the puncture is within the legal limit (6mm) and has not compromised the structure of the tyre, is guaranteed to last the life of the tyre, if the damage is severe it bleeds out giving a controlled deflation.

sounds almost magical to me, surely they couldn't make these claims if they weren't true, could they?

It doesn't cost much about a tenner a tyre.

Hi Mark222, welcome to the site, you missed our earlier thread about a new style of tyre that doesn't even need air! I think there is a picture of it on here somewhere. Anyway, you will probably find it as you look around the site
    Cheers, Smudger.

Smudger, I think you mean the Michelin Tweel? Couple of videos on YouTube. Search 'Michelin Tweel'
    Downside is that they (Michelin) say they are having vibration problems over 50mph. So they won't be in the shops for a while yet.