Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petrol in diesel cars

Default Petrol in diesel cars

I put a small amount of petrol in my diesel car will this
    cause problems?

If it was only a small amount, it shouldn't cause any problems, just fill it right up with diesel to lessen any effects.
    BTW, Welcome to the site
    Cheers, Smudger.

Depends on the amount of petrol and the year of the car. If it is a newer car then it should be drained as petrol can cause damage to the high pressure fuel pump.

This is a more common error than people may think. I did just that about 6 years ago; in my case it was 19 litres before I twigged. I then did not start the engine, but had the car towed to a place where I could drain the tank, and then I used cans to fill up the tank with diesel.

In this age of technology, I cannot understand why cars and garages are not "chipped" to emit a clear warning signal if the wrong fuel nozzle is even offered up to the filler neck.
    The answer is probably something like, "blow you Jack; it's no skin off our nose".

Non-acceptance of a nozzle to a fuel pipe is only possible in one direction. Electronic detection would be effective in both directions.

An even less techy solution would be the make the nozzle size and the car filler point, to be of dissimilar sizes, so that, for example, the diesel pimp nozzle would not fit into a petrol car filler cap.
    Cheers, Smudger.

It really depends on the year of your car. Anything with a common rail injection systems is a big no-no if there's petrol in it as it will cause damaged.

Default Petrol in diesel cars

The car is a 55 reg Aug 2005 and it was about 2litres
    of petrol

I understand that diesel pumps will not fit petrol filler-pipes because they already have different sizes. But, as I previously said, this method of restriction cannot be used both ways.
    I suppose that it would be possible to have pump and filler orifices "finned"; say diesel with 2 fins at 180 degrees and petrol with 2 fins at 90 degrees.

Apart from cost, the downside of this idea would most likely arise from user-frustration, especially for those who are naturally cack-handed.

Any resultant problems from adding the wrong fuel only hit the vehicle owner/driver, therefore the vehicle manufacturers and the fuel companies don't really have any incentive to change the situation.

A vehicle mechanic at one ambulance depot did tell me that it happens on their vehicles all the time, so complaints associated with the emergency services vehicles is probably the only scenario where pressure for change would get a hearing.

DO NOT start your engine if you have a 55 plate, it will almost certainly cause damage. The price of a fuel drain would be considerably less than a high pressure pump.

The new Ford Mondeo has an unusual style fuel filler that prevents petrol in diesel as it uses the internal size of the pump nozzle to open the safety flap. No others seem to use this very good idea yet.

All it would take is for the pump to say the word diesel or petrol when you pulled the thing out.