Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petrol Prices

Default Petrol Prices

I've just come back from Spain where the petrol prices are amongst the cheapest in Europe - why are we ripped off so much in the UK? Is it our tax?

It's so the government can **** it up the wall.
    Last edited by Mike Gray; 04-06-07 at 10:41. Reason: No swearing, masked or otherwise, please.
    Mini One D

There is a significant chunk of tax on fuel! What I don't understand is why the prices vary so much around the country. I bought fuel on saturday from a well know supermarket chain for 89.9. I then drove to london and on the way back I had to refuel and it cost me 94.9. So why the 5p difference??? Fuel has become far too expensive and its only going to get worse!

I'll tell you what I think the goverment is doing. I think the goverment is trying to price the less well off, off the road and onto the underfunded poorly maintained unreliable public transport.

Exclamation Greedy Brown

What I want to know is if the is so strong against the $ why is petrol and Diesel still so expensive when Barrels of Crude oil are bought in $.
    That doesn't make sence to me. Diesel around Bristol 93.3p a Litre.

What puzzles me is the way Tesco currently charges 91.9p for unleaded and 100 yards down the road is a Tesco Express which charges 92.8p???

...it is a conspiracy by petroleum companies to get rid of competition...get these greenies and hippies behind environmental groups to lobby the government to maintain their monopoly by not allowing the building of new refineries and constrict supply...also the uneconomical production of bio fuels...which guess what? Cost 2-4 times more, even use fossil fuels in their production and still produce CO2

Petrol tax needs to go up, IMHO...

... but shortly after Aviation spirit is taxed - which would get rid, at a stroke, of any need to expand airports... and the skies would be so much quieter...

Yours aye

Quote Originally Posted by Markyboy View Post
    There is a significant chunk of tax on fuel! What I don't understand is why the prices vary so much around the country. I bought fuel on saturday from a well know supermarket chain for 89.9. I then drove to london and on the way back I had to refuel and it cost me 94.9. So why the 5p difference??? Fuel has become far too expensive and its only going to get worse!

Most of the cost of fuel is tax of one kind or another.

Fluctuations in prices are due to a number of factors such as the price of crude; the different types of crude available and differing costs of refining; environmental taxes; supply v demand both in availability of crude and where one lives/competition/distance from suppliers and indeed taxes themselves adding to latter costs; how a petroleum company finances itself and therefore how it passes on costs to consumers (could make a lot of nasty comments on that one!). But that is the way the money market works.

Just be thankful it's only 94.9 you paid - try 109.9!

Quote Originally Posted by 306OWNER View Post
    What I want to know is if the is so strong against the $ why is petrol and Diesel still so expensive when Barrels of Crude oil are bought in $.
    That doesn't make sence to me. Diesel around Bristol 93.3p a Litre.
    I'm sure you've also noticed that when the price of crude oil goes up, the fuel suppliers HAVE to increase their prices...but when the price drops they don't drop their prices because they're 'supplying fuel they paid more for when prices were higher'. Why is there either no delay, or the same delay, at 'both ends'? Answer...blatant profiteering and they know they can get away with it because they have so much power that Government/DOT will never regulate them effectively.