Thread: Fiesta EAC fail

Default Fiesta EAC fail

On my ford fiesta 1.4 zetec lx 2003 model. I am getting a eac fail message. The garage computer DCT code points to a P0642 error. All the garage want to do is to clean the throttle body. Can someone please explain to me what the code means ?

In basics, this is the motorised throttle body. When you press the accelerator pedal, an electrical signal is sent along a wire to this unit. A motor inside then opens the throttle for you and you accelerate away.
    The code is pointing to an electrical failure in the circuit - somewhere.
    Cleaning out the throttle body is always a good idea but may not cure this fault.
    Ask the garage to disconnect, spray with WD40 and reconnect the accelerator pedal connector. They could also do this with the connector on the throttle body too.
    However, be prepared to replace the throttle unit as this is a very, very common fault on these engines.
    If you take it to a Ford dealer expect to pay up to 700 so find a local garage to do it.

Default Thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

The code P0642 refers to a 'Sensor voltage supply circuit 1 short to ground or open cicuit.' What would this be on the fiestas ?

Throttle body fault codes are P0120 to P0123, P0220 to P0223, etc.

Hope you can help.

Thought I'd already answered this?
    You have an electrical fault in the system. Either the accelerator pedal potentiometer, throttle body motor or the wiring in between.
    If you Google - Ford EAC - you will find lots and lots saying exactly the same.

Thanks for your reply Hometune.

Should the dct codes not be able to pin point it to a more specific component. Rather than change virtually all the components associated with the EAC, one by one.

NO. Fault codes are not designed to tell you EXACTLY which part has DEFINITELY failed. They are a GUIDE to where the fault may lie. Other tests should be carried out to confirm a fault. This is why so many people come on here after their 'garage' find a code, change the part and the fault is still there.
    The next step is to check voltages at the pedal and the throttle body on each track. This is a time consuming exercise and the time you will pay an auto electrician to do it would cover the cost of a new part. Or, if you have a proper diagnostic check done, the live data menu will show you all the values for all the tracks in both the pedal and throttle.
    Start with the clean, then WD40, then pedal then throttle as that's the cheapest route. Or get second hand parts to try on a substitution basis.

Thumbs up

Thank you very much for the detail information and advice . I will try to let to you know how I get on.