Thread: Motorcycle recovery

Default Motorcycle recovery

Does anyone have any experience of the RAC recovering their bikes? I'm aware that they *can* do it, but are they any good at it? I don't drive, so 95% of my travelling is by bike.

For those who have experienced bike recovery, were the RAC any good?

One of my sons-in-law works as a motorcycle mechanic in a very large dealership. He has them bought in by RAC for accidents, punctures and breakdowns. He tells me that he has no knowledge of an RAC delivered bike ever being damaged, and as yet has heard no complaints of excessive waiting times. He changed to RAC himself because of this although, as yet, he hasn't needed their services.

Quote Originally Posted by timbstoke View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of the RAC recovering their bikes? I'm aware that they *can* do it, but are they any good at it? I don't drive, so 95% of my travelling is by bike.

I have only ever had to be recovered once by the rac but when i did i can say honestly 100% they were brilliant.
    I told them it was not repairable at the scene(told them it had fuel,battery was good etc etc and that i strongly beleived the alarm had packed up) and to simply come out and recover it.
    They listened to what i had to say and did as i asked although im fully aware they may come out to see if they can fix it first.
    Shortly after my first call the rac van driver phoned to say he was on route.Within 30 minutes he was on scene and the bike was loaded onto the bike trailer he had gone to get and i was soon at home with the bike undamaged.

You have missed a unique oppotunity here. You could have been the first EVER to post under Motorbikes.

Quote Originally Posted by RoverV6 View Post
    You have missed a unique oppotunity here. You could have been the first EVER to post under Motorbikes.
    And by the miracle of moderation...

Quote Originally Posted by timbstoke View Post

Bloody excellent, had a wee yamaha 125 with free years RAC cover many moons ago, only needed to use them once, any who bike wouldnt start, electrical fault, guy came out within thirty minutes, ended up had to strip the tank and everything off right down to frame to repair one little wire that had broken, how he worked out the problem i will never know, and it only took him about 45 minutes, bloody wizard he was, could nt recommend a better service for bikers absolutely ace!

Default Fantastic

Had a BMW R1100RT pucture on motorway RAC recovered within the hour good service good equipment.
    Taken to dealer of my choice and destination.
    I have been a member for over 30yrs AA never used to be so hot with bikes to be fair dont know what they are like now but I like to stay with what I know works.

Default motorcycle recovery

As a biker in the early 80s, punctures were the most common, and always needed someone to come to my aid, as an rac member they came to me many times, punctures and others. rac mechanic/drivers were very helpful, putting my bike into whatever the call out vehicle was, landrover, rangerover, rac vehicle and taking it to where it needed to be and more often than not me home., however one calll out did not get a the normal response as i asked to be taken toa m/cycle garage nearer than home but the landrover was deemed unsuitable and a recovery vehicle should be called or i could arrange privately with the mechanic to take me to the gararge £14 or £15, next day i asked rac why not 'yesterday' they changed the rules i believe on how they dealt at the scene if a vehicle was deemed suitable by the member.they sent me a cheque to cover my initial costs as above, in short you re right, the rac have always been goodly and kind to m/cyclists.no longer a biker but i'm the one who lets you overtake and flashes when you show overtaking appreciation.