Thread: astra diesel wont start

Default astra diesel wont start

i have a astra 1.7 dti estate 02 model it cut out and will not start again the engine turns over fine but will just not fire there is also no diesel light comeing on when i try to start

Default Diesels

My diesel 306 has a primer in the engine bay and if ever it runs out of fuel you have to squeeze it a few times to get fuel from the tank through to the engine. consult the hand book or look it up in a Haynes manuel (Halfords usually have them open in stores) the one in a puegot looks kind of like a hand grenade or tennis ball without the green fuzz on it.
    Last edited by 306OWNER; 11-05-08 at 16:43.

Post Air ingress

Quote Originally Posted by drewpsx View Post
    i have a astra 1.7 dti estate 02 model it cut out and will not start again the engine turns over fine but will just not fire there is also no diesel light comeing on when i try to start
    The most likely cause of your problem is air ingress into the fuel system, probably through the injector seals. This can be proven by using a Mitivac or other vacuum pump to draw a vacuum in the injector piping where it enters the cylinder head. Once a vacuum is drawn, check the guage - if the vacuum pressure reduces - then air is being drawn in.
    Once proven/diagnosed it is quite a big job to change the injector seals as they are integral to the cylinder head and is best left to a garage/mechanic

Default No hand-primer

Quote Originally Posted by 306OWNER View Post
    My diesel 306 has a primer in the engine bay and if ever it runs out of fuel you have to squeeze it a few times to get fuel from the tank through to the engine. consult the hand book or look it up in a Haynes manuel (Halfords usually have them open in stores) the one in a puegot looks kind of like a hand grenade or tennis ball without the green fuzz on it.
    Whilst many cars have some type of hand-priming device, Vauxhall Astra's do not....

A slight sniff of easy start should do the trick

Talking Fantastic stuff, that Easy Start.....

Quote Originally Posted by MerseyPatrol View Post
    A slight sniff of easy start should do the trick
    I couldn't get my car started - so I had a sniff of Easy Start, like you suggested..... The car still wouldn't start - but I felt GREAT for a couple of hours afterwards.
    Last edited by Rsole; 13-05-08 at 07:27.

sorted it now there was dry joints on the fuel pump ecu took it of and re soldered it