Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reversing out of a driveway

Default reversing out of a driveway

i was reversing out of a driveway onto a main road and had a prang with another car. i was slowly edging out as could not see what was coming down the road as a van was blocking my line of sight. as i kept slowly edging back i was completely in my lane looking for traffic coming up the other lane when a car coming down the lane i was in went on the wrong side of the road to overtake me reversing out when we collided. my car wasn't damaged but the car on the wrong side of the had a little dent in the rear door. now i think that the other person is in the wrong as i was fully in the right lane and they should of waited knowing i wouldn't be able to see them. what do you think? and also for being on the wrong side of the road

Sorry, Bruiser1901, but, if you were reversing blind, regardless of what care you try to take, you must be held to blame.

If you can reverse out why dont you reverce in I might be wrong but you could be comminting a traffic offence in reverc-sing out into on coming traffic like parking at night facing the wrong direction of the traffic flow,parking within 15 feet of a road junction,parking at night with no lights on on a road with 40+ speed limit

It is not illegal to reverse out of a driveway.
    My driveway is opposite an adjoining road, so I have three directions in which to look for approaching traffic. My garage layout is such that it would be difficult to reverse into, and then get out of the car.
    The obvious requirement is care and attention to what you are doing and what is going on around you. I have lived with this situation without problems for 22 years.

Lightbulb Du'h

The whole situation would've been avoided if you reverse on to the drive - when you do have a clear view of the traffic and they of you, and then drive off the driveway. Surely common-sense should tell you that?
    It is your responsibility to check properly for oncoming traffic and also to make yourself conspicuous to them.
    It is 100% your fault - the other driver can say that he/she was taking evasive action.
    Learn from your mistake and move on.... but please do not keep doing the same thing - expecting different results.

Last edited by lonestranger; 12-04-08 at 00:29.

The sad fact is that many of these silly collisions occur because too many drivers take the attitude that it is their piece of road and anyone else on it is an annoyance which should not be there.

Only earlier today, I was in a line of vehicles which were moving a bit slowly due to roadworks. I was on the inside lane of a two lane section, and was approaching the point where the lanes reduced to one lane.
    In my offside mirror I saw a car coming up fairly fast in the outer lane. There was quite a lot of space between me and the cars in front and behind. So I slowed down to leave even more space in front of me, giving the overtaking car more time to slow down and move in, because there was no way it could pass the car in front of me.
    It had also occurred to me that a speed misjudgement by that driver could result in a shunt; selfish, I know, but better to hit the car in front than hit me. As she swung her car into the gap, she only missed the car in front by braking hard, causing me and the car following me to also brake.

So, she obviously had not started to slow down as early as she should have done. If, like so many drivers do, I had "claimed" the gap in front as my own, she would have had to swing in earlier, probably at greater speed, and possibly run into the rear of my car.
    Giving way can have many benefits.
    Last edited by Snowball; 12-04-08 at 09:45.

Sorry bruiser...but if you're reversing out it's your fault. Try reversing in instead so that you can see properly when driving out.

Fortunately, I've got turning space so I can drive in and drive out forwards. A near neighbour is not so lucky though and, whilst she normally reverses in, a badly parked car meant it wasn't possible for her to do so, due to width of road and vehicles parked (correctly) opposite. The next morning, reversing out, she almost (thankfully didn't) hit a child that she couldn't see because he was small and half hidden by the adjacent property's untended hedge. If you can reverse in and you're not in Snowball's situation, then try to.

Thank you.