Thread: Ford Focus - Engine Malfunction message>?

Default Ford Focus - Engine Malfunction message>?

Hi there am posting on behalf of my boyfriend who is not at a PC at the moment. He took his Ford Focus for a hand wash and too have his 2 front tyres changed for new ones. Since coming back the dashboard is flashing up with Engine Malfunction! Does anyone think this might have someting to do with water in the engine or something?>

Could be but ideally a scan for fault codes would the first thing to do to see what code/codes are causing the light to come on.

Thanks Sussex, turns out the car is only working on 3 cylinders instead of 4, someting to do with the coil.. just a girl haha!

If it is the coil make sure you do not drive/start the car with it misfiring, running this vehicle with a misfire can 'spike the ecu' which is very expensive to repair

Thanks Shaun!

Ahhh you didn't say it was miss-firing in your first post It could just be coincidence-it is not unknown for the coil packs to fail on these vehicles. As above you need to get it checked out to confirm what the problem is as if it is a coil these can spike the coil drivers in the ECU.

Default Similar problem - can anyone help?

Hi, I have a 2003 Ford Focus ST170 and have been having a similar problem!

I bought the car about 6 months ago and ever since I've had it the engine malfunctoin light comes on from time to time. It is a solid light, i.e. it doesn't flash, and it can usually last for 2-4 days before going off again. When I turn my steering wheel full lock on either side, it has a bit of a 'knock' and shortly after the light will decide to come on. The car itself handles perfectly fine, no other lights, noises, or any other kind of indication that there may be a problem. I have had it checked out at a garage but after running a diagnostic check they couldn't find anything wrong.

I am now planning to sell the car as I've decided that it would be sensible to opt fot a diesel given the ever-increasing petrol prices, but I'm worried that the light being on will put off potential buyers. Does anyone know what the cause could be???

A check with a compatible diagnostic scanner will reveal the codes which made the light come on.

Not sure I'd recommend getting a diesel car unless you do alot of long journeys. A few points I'd make about diesels are-

• Diesel is more expensive than petrol
    • Diesel cars cost more than the petrol of the same model type
    • Diesel particulate filter can be a problem if used mainly for short journeys