Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White arrows on road

Default White arrows on road

Hello everyone, newbe here. I have a little problem with the plod, What do the white lane marking arrows approaching a traffic light controlled T junction on a dual carriagway signify?
    In particular, are they advisory or are they a "must comply" sign?. What happened was I used the empty left lane when I should have been in the right lane to go right. I could not get in the right lane because it was full of traffic. The copper pulled me over for disregarding a go left arrow on the road. I don't think I did anything wrong. Off to court tomorrow!
    Last edited by chopper jockey; 18-10-07 at 01:37.

I'll take that as a no then. So no one knows if the white arrows in the lane approaching a junction are advisory or compulsory ?
    I went to court and pleaded not guilty. The police will have to attend the trial and explain their actions...
    Last edited by Jon Grant; 17-10-07 at 17:13.

i personally believe all lane markings are compulsory as you could of caused a accident if you was turning into a road with one lane or with two lanes.

Do I understand this correctly....

So you were in traffic, and you wanted to turn right at a T junction controlled by traffic lights and with filters to control traffic direction.

The right filter lane was full, and you decided to go into the left lane, and then turn right.

Your actions were not as a result of you getting into the wrong lane due to being lost, but because the right lane was 'full of traffic'.

Is this correct ?

What were your intentions on going into the left filter lane?

Ah, some interest at last. (The left lane is not a filter lane)
    Here's the scenario...
    Two lanes approaching a dual carriageway traffic light junction. The right lane is full of stationary, rush hour traffic, waiting for the right turn light ahead to turn green. The left lane is completely empty, with a green light illuminated to the left. The junction is completely static, no moving traffic anywhere. I need to join this queue from a "T" junction on the left, about half way down the queue. After waiting for some time I decided I was getting nowhere by waiting so I decided to pull out of the "T" and drive slowly down the empty left lane (with the "go left" white arrow painted on the surface) and time my approach to the "T" junction ahead to coincide with the green light to go right. Even though I was signaling right, no one let me in the queue ( fair enough), so I rolled onto the junction, still in the left lane, (which was empty up to and out the other side) and waited to be let in. I was eventually let in, even though I took the left exit lane on the other side (the queue was all taking the right exit lane on the other side,dual carriagway) and I kept out of everyone's way.
    I did not cut anyone up, there was no danger of an accident, ( very slow moving traffic) and I managed to reduce the length of the queue by not being in it.
    All this was observed by two traffic police at the front of one of the waiting queues and they pulled me over for turning right out of a "go left only lane".
    I reminded the copper that the junction was controlled by traffic lights and I went to the right when the go right green light was illuminated. I told the officer I thought the white arrows are only lane indicators, for example, on the other side of the junction is an arrow painted on the lane, with "CITY" infront of it, I presume if you are in that lane it does not mean you HAVE to go to the city, what if you only want to go to the post office? and surely if you find yourself in the wrong lane, you are entitled to signal out of it?

Since then, I've been trying to find the definitive definition of these white, lane arrows. So are they compulsory or advisory? I think compulsory signs are white arrows on blue background.
    I think these white lane arrows are to INDICATE the best lane to use for the direction I wish to go (unless of course the "best" lane is full of traffic).
    Last edited by chopper jockey; 18-10-07 at 01:41.

Green filter arrow. This indicates a filter lane only. Do not enter that lane unless you want to go in the direction of the arrow. You may proceed in the direction of the green arrow when it, or the full green light shows. Give other traffic, especially cyclists, time and room to move into the correct lane.

That lane is only ment for people going left though only ,if people going right used it aswell there be traffic problems so it must be complusory think how would people wanting to go left get by if someone is hogging that lane wanting to go right, But if you explained you didnt know the area to the police im sure they would of yet you off with a warning cant belive they took this too court. what a waste of police time.
    Last edited by Jimbo91; 18-10-07 at 02:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo91 View Post
    But if you explained you didnt know the area to the police im sure they would of yet you off with a warning cant belive they took this too court. what a waste of police time.

I would suggest it was an FPN (Fixed Penalty Notice) which the driver elected not to accept, and took the option of a court appearance.....

So there are two lanes on your road, each has a white directional arrow, and is controlled by a green arrow traffic light...

Quote Originally Posted by chopper jockey View Post
    I did not cut anyone up, there was no danger of an accident, ( very slow moving traffic) and I managed to reduce the length of the queue by not being in it.
    Presumably this queue was only made one car longer by your joining the front of it without waiting in line like every one else?

Is your defence that as you were 'prevented' from doing the correct thing by other road users not letting you in (however in their defence, the queue of traffic was not moving), that you decided to gently 'roll' up to the left filter lane and then turn right ? (so you had no choice in the matter?).

Or are you saying you dont think the arrows on the road and the filter lights are compulsory?

I'm saying I don't think it's a filter lane, because there are no keep left signs, and the lane is bordered by broken lines. Also, If this was a filter lane the lane would have " TURN LEFT" marked next to the arrow and the police would have added that to my charge. My charge is "driving with out consideration for other road users". But the fact that I waited my turn, out of the way on the junction, shows I had consideration.
    It's the lights that decide which direction we can go and when, not the lane markings approaching the junction which I think are advisory.

Are there any motoring solicitors here that could give a definitive response ?
    Last edited by chopper jockey; 18-10-07 at 14:06.

Assumingly you have passed your Test? Read the Highway Code. The arrows are compulsory.