Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Can you drive from uk to china

Default china

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1111 View Post
    The Chinese at Zharkent crossing didn't allow my car in. You need temporary plates -- takes 3 months to get!

So I went back to Almaty and caught a plane.
    well its still a closed country here, communist country and i dont think things re going to change anytime soon, its ok as long as you play by there rules, i dought even if temp number plated even exist, its just to stop outside people driving here, why? i dont know, anyway all the best.

It was a fun drive. I would like to do it again but with the right temp plates to get into China. I think they don't want us making sales calls in China. That's why they don't want us driving there.

The people in Russia near Ukraine were pretty rough -- especially the guys with funny hats. On the way back I came over the Urals and went north and came back into Europe by way of Finland to avoid them. I was planning on coming back via India and Pakistan, but apparently Pakistan is worse to drive through than Russia.

The biggest thing was the cold and icy roads and the snow -- especially in kazakhistan and Siberia. My recommendation would be to not make this run in the winter -- I saw lots of multifatality accidents along the way.

Other than the cops, the wild drivers and the ice, it was all pretty mild, and basically the same as driving anywhere else.

My car is really old and worn out, with almost 300,000 miles on it and I would recommend taking something newer -- especially in the winter. I would also recommend staying on the paved roads and not just taking the shortest route.

Sounds like quite an experience though. Is there a link to your photos?

No link to photos. I can email you some if you want.

Default route and issues

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1111 View Post
    It was a fun drive. I would like to do it again but with the right temp plates to get into China. I think they don't want us making sales calls in China. That's why they don't want us driving there.

The people in Russia near Ukraine were pretty rough -- especially the guys with funny hats. On the way back I came over the Urals and went north and came back into Europe by way of Finland to avoid them. I was planning on coming back via India and Pakistan, but apparently Pakistan is worse to drive through than Russia.

The biggest thing was the cold and icy roads and the snow -- especially in kazakhistan and Siberia. My recommendation would be to not make this run in the winter -- I saw lots of multifatality accidents along the way.

Other than the cops, the wild drivers and the ice, it was all pretty mild, and basically the same as driving anywhere else.

My car is really old and worn out, with almost 300,000 miles on it and I would recommend taking something newer -- especially in the winter. I would also recommend staying on the paved roads and not just taking the shortest route.

Hi. Me and my boyfriend want to drive from UK to Vietnam next summer and we are trying to plan a route for it and find reliable information as to if this is actually possible and how. I was really really keen on Mongolia but it seems very complicated to pass it. We want to enter Russia from Estonia. Also, I want to see lake Baikal which means we will have to go quite a lot past Kazakhstan but I am willing to drop it if it will be too difficult. I am not sure as to whether I would like to go all the way to Vladivostok for that would mean a lot of extra miles added in both Russia and China and in all fairness the only thing I want to see in China is Tianmen Mountain, the rest i do not really care which part we drive through for it is all just as beautiful as far as i'm concerned, nor do i care much about Beijing. I was hoping you could give me more details about your trip as in itinerary and major issues to be considered before leaving. I've looked at the other posts but i was hoping i could have the exact borders etc so I could have a proper look at it all and plan this properly. Cheers
    Last edited by lavinia; 30-07-13 at 15:45.

Hi Simon
    This sounds great! I am also planning this exact trip next year. France ( Calais) across Russia down to Vietnam. But, insanely, by bike. Just started researching it. It would be fantastic if we could keep in touch.

Cheers

Martin

Default UK to China/Vietnam

Hi Simon. This sounds great! I am also planning this exact trip next year. France ( Calais) across Russia down to Vietnam. But, insanely, by bike. Just started researching it. It would be fantastic if we could keep in touch.

Cheers

Martin

I've got a friend that recently got back from doing this journey but on a bike. He said it was an incredible experience and that he couldn't recommend it too highly. In short, yes it is entirely possible. He did recommend that you should always carry the equivalent of a few hundred quid of the currency of the next country you're travelling to as border control can be unnecessarily difficult. He was told this by someone that he met along the way that was making a similar trip. Can't remember whether he ended up having to grease any palms but I guess it's worth thinking about. Good luck and enjoy!

Default I'm driving to Vietnam from the Uk. would love your advice on legal issues.

I'm driving to Vietnam from the UK in my van, i've made a big S across Europe and now i'm taking a short break to earn a little £ after the ridiculously over-priced clutch blew up, so i've left my van in Greece.

I'm planning to hit the road again soon, but have ran into logistical issues as the VAT, MOT and Insurance are all now expired. I was wondering if i could ask what you guys did for those issues as you traveled? (I'm not planning on bringing the van back to the UK afterwards).

I'd love your help, as your trip sounds amazing and i'm eager to get going again.

Here's my site about the road trip, and my project which its publicizing, if you're interested: http://focallocal.org/

Kind wishes,
    Andy :0)

sorry Simon i missed this. my clutch blew up and cost me £1400 to repair so i left the van somewhere safe and came back. about to hit the road again, but the mot and tax have run out now, how are you guys managing these issues?

also, how is your trip going?