Thread: Oil Gauge MX5 1.8

Default Oil Gauge MX5 1.8

Hi............firstly apologies for my lack of technical knowledge but please can anyone help. I have a MX5 08 Plate that has done 22000 miles :-)......................i have read some of the manual and realise that the oil gauge has a 'normal' level. Mine, when idle seems to go very close to the L. When I first start the engine, it seems to race (is this normal).......................I have been driving for over 25 years, yet this is the only car i seem to struggle with as far as clutch control. I never seem to be able to set off smoothly (please no sarcasm as to me being female)................am I just being paranoid ? help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by lilly50; 27-08-14 at 22:43.

Quote Originally Posted by lilly50 View Post
    Hi............firstly apologies for my lack of technical knowledge but please can anyone help. I have a MX5 08 Plate that has done 22000 miles :-)......................i have read some of the manual and realise that the oil gauge has a 'normal' level. Mine, when idle seems to go very close to the L. When I first start the engine, it seems to race (is this normal).......................I have been driving for over 25 years, yet this is the only car i seem to struggle with as far as clutch control. I never seem to be able to set off smoothly (please no sarcasm as to me being female)................am I just being paranoid ? help would be greatly appreciated
    The gauge does not tell you how much oil is in the engine it is a pressure gauge. I wont bore you with the details but i seem to remember them being erratic in the mx5 for some reason. When started from cold i would expect the engine to rev a little higher (about 1000rpm) but it should be steady, it will gradually decrease over the first few minutes.
    Always check the engine oil level regularly using the dipstick as most dashboard warning indicators are normally unreliable, if your worried it may be worth getting a mechanic who knows the mx5 to check it out and confirm its normal.

Isn't there some sensor on the clutch pedal on these which is supposed to help with the control of the idling speed?

Thank you so much, you have put my mind at rest. Just to make all you males out there giggle, i decided to put diesel in the mx5 and drive from leeds to bolton..................you can imagine how paranoid i was during that journey, oh the joys of being an airhead. Thanks again, i now feel more at ease.......

Got me there Santa, sensor, clutch, gauge ?......................all i know is that i have a really nice grey car, that i struggle getting in and out of. But as the kind person previous said, it does seem to steady itself after a couple of minutes. It just seems to me to race just that bit to much

Lilly :-)