Thread: Lorry drove off after hitting my vehicle

Default Lorry drove off after hitting my vehicle

Hi, whilst going about my business in a Shell garage in Preston a Laura Ashley lorry smashed down the side of my vehicle causing substantial damage,the CCTV shows the lorry turning round on the garage but the reg does not show up, police & insurance say they cant do nothing without the reg, Laura Ashley have trackers fitted but say the closest lorry at the time of the incident was in Liverpool!.
    I have an independent witness,I cannot get a copy of the CCTV from the garage due to data protection....any advice please.

Don't be put off by the garage's DPA excuse. Get legal advice, but in the meantime make it your priority to stop the garage recycling the tape/disc.

I suggest you write to them TODAY, formally requesting a copy. State that if they refuse you will return with a court order if necessary, and point out that any court would take a dim view of their destroying evidence. Keep a copy of the letter and either send it by recorded delivery or deliver it by hand to whoever is in charge, and note his name.

Report the accident to the Police and ask to make a formal statement to them. Go to a solicitor if you need more help.

Secondly, IF the lorry driver stopped to get fuel or buy something at the shop, then the garage may have a record of his name, card details, or vehicle registration number. You really need a solicitor urgently to contact either the Police or the shell garage owners.

Their livery is quite distinctive and they should be able to identify the driver. There is a possibility that the truck was one they had sold on, and you really need that information from the garage. I think it will take a solicitor to get them to give you the information, even though the DPA thing is nonsense.

Good luck with it.

Quote............."I have an independent witness,I cannot get a copy of the CCTV from the garage due to data protection....any advice please."I get really annoyed when I read things like that, this Data Protection is just a continuation of all this health & safety and P/Correctness rubbish?Why is that such footage is allowed when it catches criminal doing their thing, but not available for situations like yours?I really hope things work out OK for you.

Thanks Guys , rang the police again today they said" as the accident happened on private land it wasn't a crime !!...utter ****, times now not on my side so will get a solicitor on the case and start to get a case together against Laura Ashley, they did contact me today after my son stirred it up on twitter.

It may be private land, but is it accessible to the public? The offence of failure to stop and report applies on "a road or other pubic place". (Road Traffic Act 1988 Section 170.)

According to the Crown Prosecution Service "The expression 'on a road or other public place' is employed frequently in Road Traffic legislation, for example, in the drafting of moving traffic offences at sections 1-6 RTA. A public place is a place to which the public, or part thereof, have access."

See http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/r...nces/#P71_3529

By that definition a filling station is a public place, and your police officer was wrong. I'd suggest you speak to a more senior officer.

No question it's a public place, just like a supermarket car park is and where people have been fined by the police for using a mobile phone.