Thread: Advice on laying up a car

Default Advice on laying up a car

I need to lay up my car for 12-24 months. Can someone please point me to the best source of advice on this so I can have an informed discussion with the mechanics at the garage? I saw a list of things you need to do on the AA website but I'm not sure that was intended for such a long period.

thanks

That site seems to have it pretty well covered. The only other thing I could think of (unless I missed it) is to spray the engine and all the leads liberally with WD40 to repel moisture. If you are putting a cover over it, make sure it is made for the job - lack of ventilation can cause all kinds of problems.

There are fairly cheap solar powered battery chargers that would keep the battery topped up. I would also take the suggestion of taking the wheels off and storing them inside somewhere. This has the added benefit of making the car much harder to steal.

I've seen an advert on TV for a new type of water repellant that would be great for such a job, keep your eye out for the advert, good luck.