Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence.

I've just a thought, ( don't worry about that though) If Scotland does go for this independence thing, will we have to stop using the "United Kingdom" as the country name?

Good point, smudger. It would not be a United Kingdom any more, would it? Scottish independence cannot be good for everyone in Scotland - there would have to be winners and losers. My guess is that the winners would be the wealthy section of society who can 'take their cut' before the dregs get passed down to the ordinary folk.

Alec salmon, for me, is too **** sure of himself - and he is being too flippant in claiming that he can keep the pound Sterling, saying it is also his pound. In fact, it is a UK currency, and therefore only valid for countries that are part of the UK. It is not conceivable that an independent Scotland could have partial control of UK Sterling, and leave it directly open to fluctuations in value by the activities of a country that is independent of the UK. Doesn't he recognise the significance of UK currency bearing a facsimile the English Monarch's head? Perhaps he envisages a joint facsimile that includes his own head -ha,ha!
    There has also been the warning that an independent Scotland may well not be permitted to join the EU, so could not use the Euro. Does this indicate the EU masters might see an independent Scotland as another risk for needing bail out as with Greece and Spain?
    Whatever the claimed pitfalls of Scotland being in the UK, there are so many uncertainties in going independent that, were I voting, it would be a definite "NO".

Snowball, UK coins do NOT bear the image of the "English Monarch", but the BRITISH monarch.

If Scotland becomes independent, the SNP's current policy is that the queen will remain head of state - I don't know why, but I don't have a vote!

She is already head of state of some 15 other countries, and appears on lots of non-UK coins.

I take your point, Beelzebub - yes, she is the British monarch, but isn't she frequently referred to as the Queen of England?
    It might be the SNP's intended policy for the Queen to remain head of state, but who's to say that, if Scotland goes independent, they will be allowed to keep that connection. I get the impression that the British government are posturing from the basis that Scotland is either IN the UK, or COMPLETELY OUT of it.
    Yes, there are non-UK currencies with the British monarch's head on them. Many are part of the Commonwealth. I suppose Scotland could have its own currency, and bearing the British monarch's head, but it wouldn't necessarily be UK currency, or Sterling. Still, how far the split would go depends, in the end, on how much of the exchanges is bluffing by both sides. Neither is going to extend the degree of isolation to the extent that it is damaging to their own countries, are they? Dunno though - we've seen some daft things done by people we thought were intelligent!

I am curious to know why it is that the plan to keep using a Scottish pound, linked to the English pound (a la Panama and the Dollar) will not work. I see statements in the paper that this is so, but no explanation as to why.

+ Will people immediately withdraw their Scottish money and change it into English?
    + Will English pounds still be acceptable in Scotland as they are in the Channel Islands.
    + Does it mean that truckloads of notes will have to be taken over the border, and if so, in which direction?

All academic of course; it's not going to happen.

Quote........ "All academic of course; it's not going to happen"Well, like Snowball says, I certainly hope it doesn't, as it will end up with the same old, ......them and us?The 10% who own 90% of the wealth! and the 90% having to share the reminding 10%, nothing ever changes for the better, especially in politics?

Chorus:
    It's the same the whole world over,
    It's the poor what gets the blame,
    It's the rich what gets the pleasure,
    Isn't it a blooming shame?

Alex Salmond should borrow that phrase which Harold Wilson used. "The pound in your pocket will not be affected"

How wrong he was.

Watched BBC breakfast news yesterday and the reporter was on the Isle of Skye. 2 pairs of residents wanted the YES vote to promote their businesses. The 3rd pair of residents who were running a tearoom and gallery said they wanted a NO vote. They were English......so how do they get a vote?

They get a vote in the same way that any other UK citizen does, by being resident in the constituency.

I'm allowed to vote in Surrey, despite being Scottish ...