Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Focus dash electrical fault

Question Focus Instrument failure

Interesting to hear about all these faults because I have had intermittent problems with my '53 Focus TDCI Ghia. 54,000 miles on the clock and I have experienced speedo failure and battery warning light comming on ,both faults stop when the ignition is switched off and then switched on again !!?

Just like rebooting a computer when it crashes this can temporarily mask a fault but can't fix it. Renewal, whether at your cost or the manufacturers (good luck trying to get anything out of ford motor company) is really the simplest and most cost effective option.

This is happening on my 04 Focus. 53K miles. It has happened before (over a year ago) and then cleared up. Its anything from all dials to zero, warning lights on, no speed, rev, fuel or temp, LCD all [----], to just the rev counter dropping for a second.

Any more news on this would be appreciated.

well thankfully my car is fixed. new alt and battery did the job. all headlamp/main beam bulbs blew tho, but simple to fix. ford wanted 17 for each main beam bulb plus headlamp bulbs, i think i can manage that job myself from halfords for 7 a pop. good luck to anyone else.

I had a problem with my 03 Ford Focus' cluster clocks. They would intermittently die - meaning I was left with no readings at all, including speedo.

It failed to come up on the usual Ford diagnostic tests and then the cluster died all together - never to return from the dead.

I took it to a Ford garage and they fitted a new cluster clock, costing 320.

When I picked my car up, the mileage read 0 miles, I mentioned it to the Ford mechanic and he said they can't reset it to my last known mileage. But he said as long as I have the receipt and my last service log (showing the mileage) I will be fine.

PS - Three Ford mechanics each told me this is not a rare problem.

I did a bit of snooping on the web and a motoring writer/blogger, Steve Orme, is also doing a piece on this - http://drivingpassion.merseyblogs.co.uk/

I have not looked at a Focus dash, but do they have a voltage regulator? Sounds like a faulty regulator, but will accept being totally wrong.

Default RB

I too have had the same problem diagnosed on a Ford Focus bought Sep 2003. Am having to shell out 350

My 2003 (March) Focus 1.4 CL Instrument Cluster has just failed. I also will be writing to Ford.

Instrument Cluster on my 2003 Instrument Panel Cluster has just failed. There obviously is a problem. I too will be writing to Ford.

Default Cluster Fault

Hi Guys

UPDATE

I returned home yesturday from business to find another letter from Ford (incidentally from a guy in customer sevices who told me to contact a totally different department and fobbed my off when I last spoke to him!)

In short Ford are saying that because my vehicle is out of warranty they will not be assisting. They state that having spoken to their technical department that this is NOT a manufacturing fault as it would have appeared earlier in my vehicles life (?)

" ....our technical team have advised there are no known concerns with this component"

They have also stated that they feel the matter is now closed and will not be corresponding further with me!

I WILL be writing back to them, I do not like being lied to. With all the entries on this forum regarding this component I just cannot accept that there is not a problem here and one which dear reader WE are having to swallow at over 350.00 a shot!

HELP!

Apart from my letter what do people recommend? I'm contacting 'Watchdog' now and going to make this a public as possible. Someone mentioned the Audi TT cluster which I heard a rumour cost far more and onwers got nothing. Is anyone legally minded?

Come on lets not let Ford have us over on this one!

Dogboy