Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renewing driving licence on line.

Default Renewing driving licence on line.

Being over 70, I have to renew my licence every three years. Have done this on line before - no problem. This time, however, I accidentally ticked a wrong box, causing the process to arrest. Attempting to start from scratch, it told me to try later. This was yesterday. This morning, trying again got the reply that I was not entitled to this service. So I eventually got through to the DVLA by phone. I now have to send in my application by post, but will then be able to do it on line again in the future. It seems that there is no second chance if you make an error - the system does not automatically reset, apparently.
    Protection against fraud? I don't know but, by golly, you have to get it absolutely right first time, without even an accidental error, if you don't want to suffer any inconvenience. Boohoo!

It seems more likely to be a glitch in the system than part of the anti-fraud measures. When I do mine next, I will be sure to not make any mistakes.

When I did something similar, I rebooted the computer and it gave me a second chance.

As I said, Santa, it initially told me to try again later, but next day it specifically told me that I was not entitled to renew on line. Speaking to the DVLA, the call centre operator said that what happened to me was usual - that I would have to apply by post this time, but doing it on line would work OK next time. I therefore assume that entering a mistake (some, if not all) creates an automatic, non-resetting block, and that this can only be removed after going through the sending-by-post system.
    Like you, Santa, although the 'next time' is three years away, meticulous care will be exercised.

Maybe it is time for you to provide a new up to date photo?

Nah - He was wearing the wrong coloured underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Maybe it is time for you to provide a new up to date photo?
    Whatever are you talking about, Dennis? Totally irrelevant; besides, the reminder through the mail stated that a new photograph was NOT required!!! The problem was simply that I accidentally ticked a box wrongly, and the system gives no second chances. I know that - NOW, but I posted to give others a warning of what happens if you make a mistake.

Snowball, did it give you the chance to go back a page, (using that left pointing arrow)

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Snowball, did it give you the chance to go back a page, (using that left pointing arrow)
    No smudger, once the mistake had been made, nothing could be changed by clicking on the 'go back' arrow. I even tried closing down the site, then reopening it from scratch, but I simply got the message to the effect that access was denied. Now waiting on the Royal Mail for delivery of my driving licence renewal. They (the DVLA) give themselves a 3-week window for this.

You need to update your photograph on your licence every ten years, I think it is.