Thread: Crossed Solid White line

Hybrid View

Default Crossed Solid White line

Hi,

Can someone please tell me who detects such offences like crossing a white solid line? I was with my friend today and he was on a wrong lane and in order to move to the right lane he crossed a solid white line. The white solid line had broken white lines along with it but our side was solid line. It is illegal we know. There were many cameras there, like speed camera then a big yellow pole with two cameras on top and another silver pole with two cameras on top of it.

Will these cameras catch the offence or its only police mobile cars who catch it? Thanks

Here is the link of the road

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4953...zPSWrQ!2e0!3e5

anyone please?

This kind of offence would usually be detected by observation. Speed cameras are triggered by speed and not crossing a line.

You don't say why you are asking. Was your friend stopped and spoken to by a policeman? If not, I don't think he has anything to worry about.

Thank you for the reply.

No we were not stopped by Police. Its just that there were many cameras there, like I mentioned before apart from yellow speed cameras there were some other cameras on top of silver/grey pole. I was just curious if those cameras detect such offence.

In the unlikely event that the police would want to prosecute, they have 14 days to send a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) to the registered keeper of the vehicle. If nothing arrives within 20 days (to allow the post office time to deliver) you can rest easy.

Hi, isarwar. I am assuming that the white line you refer to was to the offside of your friend's vehicle, in which case Rule 129 of the Highway Code applies.
    This states: Double white lines where the line nearest to you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe to do so. You may cross the line if necessary, providing the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph or less.
    What I do find puzzling is that I cannot imagine a situation where you would cross such a line in order to move into a 'correct lane'.