Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Minor accident - preempting difficulties - advice appreciated

I recently had to emergency stop when approaching a junction where I intended to turn right. The reason being that a gentleman approaching the same junction from my left decided to cut the corner, meaning that we were in a head-on situation. He stopped, and I realized he had approached his turn quite slowly. He got out and asked me to reverse back to allow him to carry on with his manouevre, and his explanation was that he had a broken arm and couldn't turn the wheel fast enough to take his correct route on the turn, but that he was quite fit to drive as his car was an automatic and it was his left arm that was broken!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I recently had to emergency stop when approaching a junction where I intended to turn right. The reason being that a gentleman approaching the same junction from my left decided to cut the corner, meaning that we were in a head-on situation. He stopped, and I realized he had approached his turn quite slowly. He got out and asked me to reverse back to allow him to carry on with his manouevre, and his explanation was that he had a broken arm and couldn't turn the wheel fast enough to take his correct route on the turn, but that he was quite fit to drive as his car was an automatic and it was his left arm that was broken!
    I doubt that the police would have agreed - "Not in control etc"

People with only one arm can drive, but they have a knob on the wheel like on a fork lift truck. They usually beef up the power steering too.

Following the logic of some previous posts. The police should have been called and his fitness to drive questioned. If appropriate take away his licence. Make any mistake whatever and the police should be called and fitness to hold a licence called into question. No exceptions - young, middle aged or old.

But if no contact was made between the cars, then there was no accident to report?

There doesn't need to be an accident - on Rolebama's account a criminal offence had been committed, and could have been reported.