Thread: Focus low mileage vs A3 high mileage

Default Focus low mileage vs A3 high mileage

Hi all,

Just looking for some advise.
    I currently have a budget of around 4500-5000 to buy a car. It has to be from a car dealership as I am going through a finance company.

Couple of cars I am looking at are diesels as I am looking to get a good return on the mpg.
    I have seen a focus I quite like it's done 66k miles, I would assume this is better due to the low mileage. But I have also seen a nice A3 but has done 110k miles, would people avoid this due to the high mileage or do these cars generally perform fine past this point nowadays?

Thanks for any advise!
    Gary

Welcome to the site, personally I go for low mileage, when it comes to buying cars, as opposed to the car reg. number.

Its just down to personal choice, after all, modern cars can do a lot more mileage these days, but like I say, it's a personal choice for the buyer, good luck.

Thanks. That it exactly what I was thinking. Probably better with a lower mileage car. But I know that these cars now tend to last longer. Would like a nice A3 or so,etching like that but am I going to risking repairs and stuff by going with the higher mileage.

Having had an expensive lesson about dpf s it is something I would check. If either has not had a new dpf it will be very costly : that of course is if one is fitted. My brother in law has an Audi and maintenance is high cost. Personally I would go for the focus.

Maybe this will help you decide?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/focus-2004

and

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/audi/a3-2008

Most of the decision is purely personal and with the problems on the Focus, especially at the age you will be buying, this will include the dash, dual mass flywheel, turbo (a certainty) and fuse box problems.
    Against this you are looking at a better built car with better resale value although at the price you may have the dual mass to consider, driveshaft rubber boots, possibly a turbo if it has been maintained poorly (i.e. wrong oil).

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

You should also consider the insurance premium.

Thanks all for the advise.
    I think that I will be going for the Focus, going to look at it this afternoon. Although the A3 does look a better car, the 100k miles on the clock is a bit off putting when paying 5k

Y could get a nearly new Corsa for that amount of money, with about 12,000 miles on the clock.

Apologies for cutting in to the thread but it is related to Ford Focus. From a reputable local garage that I use a 2010 Focus Titanium 2.0TDCi diesel auto is available. Although I said in previous post I would never buy diesel again it has only 5,000 miles on the clock. Will the obvious lack of use be a problem or will it be like buying nearly new ? Sorry again for intruding but linking to Focus diesel low mileage and thought it better than a new thread.

Didn't find the seats comfortable so no Focus for me !