Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beware getting stuck in mud

Angry beware getting stuck in mud

having popped down to skegness this weekend hoping to sell my caravan that we have stored on a site down there

i had the misfortune of backing my mini cooper onto the grass at the side of my caravan to unload the boot into the van i then locked up the van and got into my car to go down the town to my hotel which i had booked to spend the night in and the car got stuck after trying myself to get the car out with the aid of some wood with no affect and having slipped over in the mud i called the rac up for the first ever time i was told it would be a 75 min wait at the most as it was not really a emergency i was just glad i was finally get to go to my hotel and get cleaned up so i waited then i get a call of some breakdown company saying they had been sent by the rac ok then i get told it will cost me 90 pounds plus vat which i have to pay before the recovery person will even touch my car by now i am thinking why did i pay my 129 pounds rac bill for the years recovery feeling like i had no choice i managed to get it paid using the wife's credit card over the phone finally they pulled my car the four foot onto the gravel road and i was then able to drive down to my hotel and get cleaned up

i spoke to the driver that came out to me and he told me it would cost the same amount of money if i had not been with the rac and phoned them direct

having spoke to one of the rac mangers today i was told that cover is only for mechanical breakdown i feel really let down by my breakdown company

And yet the RAC will come out to cars stuck in snow and tow or push you (plus other motorists who weren't even members) when they are the subject of a TV program. Double standards?

That does sound a bit mean, after all, it was a simple pull out job, a matter of just a few feet?

We have done all this, including the misleading TV programmes, before.

To the original poster, Morrisons sell for 6.00 "sand ladders" as we used to call them in the military. They can help you out in the snow or ice or sand and mud.

charmedtrivia
    I am sorry that you are unhappy with the service provided. When your partner made the call for assistance on your behalf, she advised that all 4 wheels of your vehicle were stuck in the mud. You had tried to get the vehicle out yourself but to no avail. Unfortunately your breakdown policy entitles you to assistance for mechanical problems only. We will provide service that exceeds your policy entitlements at a small charge.
    Angela

in responce to this post ...... first of all when i called i gave you his phone number so that you could call him yourself and find out the true facts as i was 129 miles away from him i myself didnt get the whole picture , you as his service provider should have made the nessasary call to find the true picture so you could send the right van ........ secondly no van was even sent to look at what could be done , he got a call on his mobile by a with held number saying he either pays up or sit in the field all night so he didnt have much choice but to pay and thirdly ,,, do you call 108 a small fee for towing someone 4ft to solid ground because i call that daylight robbery , and just to add i will be cancelling my RAC with immediate effect and im sure my husband will be following as soon as his renewal date comes up , i dont see why we should pay over 250 a yr for your services when we have never used you and the first and only time we use you we get a 108 bill ..... VERY UNHAPPY !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Operations Exec View Post
    Unfortunately your breakdown policy entitles you to assistance for mechanical problems only.
    Angela
    No it doesn't! Come off it Angela, I watched your patrol getting lots of members and non members out of the snow. What's the difference? Please don't say it is the water thing as both mud and snow are almost entirely made of the stuff.
    The RAC does let itself down badly you know.

The lesson to be learned from this incident, is firstly not to take your vehicle on to water logged grass caravan sites at night.

Second lesson is to just get a taxi to your hotel and return in daylight to recover your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Operations Exec View Post
    charmedtrivia
    I am sorry that you are unhappy with the service provided. When your partner made the call for assistance on your behalf, she advised that all 4 wheels of your vehicle were stuck in the mud. You had tried to get the vehicle out yourself but to no avail. Unfortunately your breakdown policy entitles you to assistance for mechanical problems only. We will provide service that exceeds your policy entitlements at a small charge.
    Angela
    Over 100 is a small charge,really?

I wouldn't like to see a large charge then.