Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dvla vs NMR mileage?

Default dvla vs NMR mileage?

i hoping to buy a car and have just ran an hpi check on it. all clear except mileage discrepency.
    Data currently held on the National Mileage Register (NMR) indicates that there may be a mileage
    discrepancy on this vehicle.
    The V5 registration document issue date does not match the information provided by the DVLA
    oct 2011 NMR has milage of 70k
    dvla 2013 has milage of 65k

i did the mot history checker and the mileages given on there are: (05 plated so 2008 is first mot)
    2008: 18,087
    2009: 26,064
    2010: 35,851
    2011: 45,814
    2012: 56,957
    2013: 67,548
    2014: 69,504

so i'm confused. if the mileage has been tampered with then i'm guessing it happened around 2011 when it would have been under previous ownership as opposed to current owner.
    i would say the mileage looks pretty consistent (from the dvla mot history)

can anyone clarify where the information comes from. I assumed dvla would hold correct info as would NMR and i thought they would match. But where does NMR get the info.
    all dates for mileage are march but the NMR one shows up as November.
    so march 2011 it got mot'd and mileage was recorded as roughly 46k but by nov of the same year it was recorded as 70k.

are there any insurance or legal issues with clocking i should be aware of?
    Last edited by little_green; 20-01-14 at 23:33.

NMR says "We source our mileage information from a variety of different sources, so you will get a clear idea about the car's mileage history." A bit vague.

Personally I would trust the DVLA figures as they are entered directly by the MOT station. The 70k figure could well be a typo from, maybe, a service record - I don't know. The Progression on the MOT mileages looks entirely believable. In either case - 5k miles is not that significant is it?

No 5k miles is not significant but it's down on nmr as having 70k miles in 2011 which if accurate raises the question what is it's true mileage now? Obviously the dvla and odometer say it's only at 69k now in 2014

Ask to see the V5 document.

Was it declared "NEW" at the date it was registered in 2005. What make and model is it?

I would be more inclined to believe the DVLA in this instance. As Santa says above it is a bit vague about NMR, yet we know that DVLA gets mileages directly from MOT Tests, and the numbers quoted from this source make more sense.

To provide a little insight on this, I actually had a letter from the NMR last week about a car I sold several years ago. You have to go to an online form and fill in details about how many miles it had on it when you bought it, and how many miles it had on when you sold it, and who you bought it from and sold it to.

There's no way I could remember with 100% accuracy if my car had (say) 20,000 on it or 24,000 on it when I sold it, so I was pretty much guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Ask to see the V5 document.

Was it declared "NEW" at the date it was registered in 2005. What make and model is it?
    The date on the v5 is March 2005 which would have been when it was new. But the hpi check mentioed a discrepancy with that too ill double check the exact problem when I get home from work.

The car is an 05 reg mg Zr

I've having really bad luck at finding a car I thought this would finally be the one and now this has happened with the mileage I'm just trying to make sense of it and work out if I should still go for it or not

The DVLA figure us the ONLY one you should trust.
    When you look at the NMR results you have to remember that these figures are compiled by previous owners, car dealers and traders. Very often a trader will simply supply an approximate mileage either due to laziness or he can't be bothered looking up his records.
    I have had countless requests from HPI companies asking if the mileage was as stated as they want to complete their records. In all cases, I could not remember the exact mileage so did not complete their forms. This means there will be a discrepancy shown and is normal.
    If the MOT figures look right then that is what you should rely on. Hopefully there is a fully stamped up service book with the mileages in it. You can compare them to satisfy yourself even more.

yeah no service history just the mot docs bit iffy but seems to be the case with a lot of cars not.

so thinking it's legit & i can just ignore it and assume the mileage on the odommeter & mot/dvla is correct.

I think you are right - go for it.