Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about buying UK car

Default Questions about buying UK car

Hi. I have a son studying in UK and he need to move around a bit so thinking of buying a car for him before Jun-2014. I am not in UK and not sure how the car market works in UK, hence hoping someone could answer a few questions that I am having.

Our priorities will mainly be cost, reliability, ease of servicing (for example, having a large numbers of service centers dotted around the country) and last but not least, may be easy to resell the car when it’s not needed 3 years later. Taking those into consideration, I suppose we best stick to the best seller model like the Fiesta and Polo but we are open to suggestion

On reliability. Our first choice would be pre-registered. I understand these are seldom being advertised online and one has to frequent some of those big authorized dealers periodically to check on availability. Is that correct? And when would it be a good times to do that? Any other pointers? And I suppose these pre-registered will have the same warranty coverage from the car manufacturer except with a bit shorter warranty period? Say.....2 1/2 years instead of 3 and not merely 12 months?

Cost. It seems there are several ways of getting cars in UK and the cheapest seems to be online purchase. It seems some website will placed an order with one of the dealers somewhere else in UK and deliver the car to where you stay. Saving seems to be about 2000 to 3000 off those 2 models. So how much discount can we expect if we walked into main street dealers then? 1K? 2K?

Servicing. Suppose we get a Polo from an online merchant and it was delivered by far a away dealer somewhere else in UK, does it mean we have to bring the car back to that same far away dealer for servicing and most importantly, warranty work/claim? Or just because it’s a VW with warranty, any VW dealers or service centers anywhere in UK will still be happy to attend to our need and if there’s warranty claim, they could also do it for free?

That all my questions for now and thanks in advance for your advise.

b.rgds
    Last edited by BSN2013; 17-01-14 at 15:32.

Use this website to find the best deals directly from the main franchised dealer.
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/new-cars.../ford%2Cfiesta

I entered the details for a Fiesta and there are savings of over 3,000 on the list price. A good place to start.
    Personally I would not deal with a third party as they need to make a profit and more chance of something going wrong.
    January is traditionally a good time to buy as many have spent up over Xmas.

For peace of mind, buying from a main dealer is probably the safest option. However, from a warranty point of view, it matters not so long as the car is serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's schedule and to their standard. Selling a car with a main dealer service history is often easier than others.

Once you have found the make and model you want, try them for pre-registered or for a demonstrator for additional savings.

Is that for a brand new Fiesta? The search result I tried seems show used Fiesta for that amount of discount. How about at 5 drs model with either the 1.2 engines or the 1.0 Ecoboost? Is the 1.0 Ecoboost engine a lot better than the 1.2? In Bristol areas.

Thanks.

I don't know what country you are from, but I think that the car market works pretty much the same way worldwide.

First off - I would not even consider buying a new car. The taxes and depreciation in the first year make it uneconomical for the short term. Your best bet is a three-year-old popular model like the ones you mention.

Second - I would buy it from a reputable dealer, probably best to use the franchise dealer for the manufacturer you choose. They are the least likely to sell a bad car, and will offer the best after sales service. You will pay a little more, but that is worthwhile.

Third - If you subscribe to a breakdown service like the RAC, AA or Green Flag, you will be covered for most eventualities. Servicing, if needed, can be done at any franchised dealer, although warranty work might have to go back to the original seller.

Fourth - When it comes to purchasing a car, it is never a good idea to be alone, especially if you are not familiar with the process. I suggest that your son should be accompanied by someone with experience to make sure that he does not get seduced by gadgets and shiny paint.

When it comes to disposal, there are organisations like webuyanycar, who offer a quick and easy sale. Apart from that there is always Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I don't know what country you are from, but I think that the car market works pretty much the same way worldwide.

First off - I would not even consider buying a new car. The taxes and depreciation in the first year make it uneconomical for the short term. Your best bet is a three-year-old popular model like the ones you mention.

Second - I would buy it from a reputable dealer, probably best to use the franchise dealer for the manufacturer you choose. They are the least likely to sell a bad car, and will offer the best after sales service. You will pay a little more, but that is worthwhile.

Third - If you subscribe to a breakdown service like the RAC, AA or Green Flag, you will be covered for most eventualities. Servicing, if needed, can be done at any franchised dealer, although warranty work might have to go back to the original seller.

Fourth - When it comes to purchasing a car, it is never a good idea to be alone, especially if you are not familiar with the process. I suggest that your son should be accompanied by someone with experience to make sure that he does not get seduced by gadgets and shiny paint.

When it comes to disposal, there are organisations like webuyanycar, who offer a quick and easy sale. Apart from that there is always Ebay.
    Thank you for your advise. Much appreciated.

1. My 1st preference is to buy a Pre-registered. How much discount off the list price can we expect for popular models of Fiesta (eg. 5dr 1.25 or 1.0 Ecoboost) or Polo (5dr 1.4 or 1.2TSI)?

2.You are right about getting it from a franchise dealer. I suppose the possible need to take the car back to the original franchise seller for warranty repair means only buying from local Bristol region.

Pre-registered cars are those that a dealer registers in order to make their quota. I am not sure how much of this goes on these days. In any. One downside is that your son will be shown as the second owner, as he will for a secondhand car, even if there was only delivery mileage on it when he got it.

Something like this - http://www.brunelford.co.uk/used-for...elgroups=8765& would be a good example of what's on offer secondhand. You would expect to be able to bargain that price down too.

In some Universities Students need to get a permit from the University authorities to be able to operate and park their cars.

There are lots of things, like insurance and licencing to be dealt with. I confined my answers to the original question.

Pre registered cars can be extremely good value. I have seen Vauxhall Corsas offered for sale with a 7,000 discount.

I've never seen them that cheap, they all go for around 1200-1600 less than new around here?