Thread: Motorhome breakdown in Denmark and left in the lurch!

Default Motorhome breakdown in Denmark and left in the lurch!

Hey everyone.

I'm a new member here but thought i'd join up as i want some advice and i also want to share my story to hopefully stop anyone else from being burned by the RAC

So my story.

I became a member with the RAC and took the full package for my Motorhome for UK and Europe. I paid 162.00 for my membership.

Me and my buddy tom went away in my toyota motorhome to Denmark copenhagen our first stop, We visited the beautiful city and then was heading south Germany bound to continue our travels. We sadly broke down near the town of Koge Denmark heading toward the ferry over to Germany. We lost power and had overheating and loads of smoke from the exhaust! The head gasket had blown! We called the RAC EU and after waiting from around 10.00am we finally were rescued at around 5 or 6pm after waiting all day! they towed my motorhome to the local toyota garage just as it was closing! we left that there and stayed in a local hotel. Then the next day was told our motorhome was too big for the garage, at this point then it was the weekend and was told we would not have any joy till monday!

So we made the decision to fly home at our cost and deal with the motorhome from the UK, after that ordeal we just wanted to go back!

Ok so the motorhome was then towed to another garage near by! where our fears were confirmed, Blown headgasket.
    At this point i asked for the vehicle to be rapatriated. They went away and made a decision and came back with a yes but also offered to fix the blown engine at no cost to myself.

So then..... A few days later i get a call saying sorry it turns out that there is more damage than first thought to the engine (the cylinder head was blown also) and i now owe them 3000.00 if i wish to have the engine fixed as more money is needed to fix it and they spent my budget for the repair work already done and the towings already recieved. or 2500.00 to have it repatriated home. keep in mind now a few days earlier i was told that a tow home or full engine repair would be taken care of at no extra cost to me!

As you can imagine this was horrible news especially as i don't have the money! and i felt let down and that promises of no cost to me had been broken!

Now i'm being told that they will not do anything else and that i need to pay a storage fee for the motorhome or it will be disposed of. Or pay the huge some of money to get my vehicle back! Keep in mind i did ask from day one for it to be towed home, and then they lured me in with this great offer if it being repaired at no extra cost to me! Only for it to go horribly wrong!

PLEASE ANY HELP OR ADVISE WOULD BE APPRECIATED as i'm getting nowhere at all with RAC UK or EU and being told that this is it! Surely there is something i can do? How can they leave me in the lurch like this? My beautiful motorhome is worth well over ten grand! I cant lose it to this error on RAC's behalf surely?

Mike brown

I think you need to talk to a legally qualified advisor. Before you do that, write down as much as you can. The times and dates, who said what and when.

I really think I'm going to have to get legal advice on this one against RAC. I feel so disappointed and let down by the RAC. The thing is as consumers we buy things like Breakdown cover and Insurance with these companies to look after us and protect us. But in reality they just exist to take our money and wriggle out of helping us when it really comes to the crunch. I could easily lose my ten thousand pound Motorhome because of this or face financial ruin due to the RAC letting me down.

I just hope nobody else relies on them too much and loses out like this! Been waiting since October 3rd 2013. Still nothing. When i got through to my appointed incident manager as i was just shot down to pieces by the way she spoke to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I think you need to talk to a legally qualified advisor. Before you do that, write down as much as you can. The times and dates, who said what and when.

mike brown
    Our records indicate that you have discussed the matter with a colleague in our Breakdown Customer Care dept and she is in the process of putting our position in writing to you. This will include details of how you may refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service if you remain unhappy with our actions/decision.
    From what I can gather, you expressed concern paying the required repairs based on the quotation given by the garage in Denmark. Although RAC do not authorise or pay for repairs, our colleagues in Lyon agreed to pay for the repairs rather than the cost of repatriating your vehicle. However, when the cylinder head was removed further damage was found which significantly increased the repair costs you were offered the choice to pay the additional repair costs or have your vehicle repatriated. I understand you have opted for the latter. We are more than happy to repatriate your vehicle but due to the other services you have already received, this will take the costs over your policy limit. You have therefore been asked to pay the costs that exceed your entitlement.
    My colleague will confirm all of this to you in her letter. Upon receipt, should you wish to discuss the content further, please do not hesitate to contact her directly.
    Angela

Just read through you're story and all i can say is Wow that is absolutely disgusting how you have been messed about. Sorry to hear it.

Ahhh lovely yet another cold hearted reply from the RAC! Thanks so again what your saying is, That its not your fault!

I'll quote your RAC European team worker here:

"Hello,

My supervisor has had a look at your file and would like to propose that we help you pay for the cost of the repairs, if you agree to returning to Denmark to collect and drive home your repaired van."

We then went on to speak on the phone and i was told that there were be no charge to me at all to fix my engine! Is it fixed then? No Do i jabe to pay apparently? Yes!!!!

They even had the gumption to tell me seperate to paying all garage costs they would also fly me out to pick it up an put me in a hotel before my long drive home!

What you need to realise is! That i was told certain things and these things were not delivered! I should not have been told these things if it were not the case!

Its certainly not my fault you were underquoted on the engine repair! You should have investigated it further! You promised me you would fix it after luring me away from
    repatriation (to probably save you money) and its gone wrong and now you are washing your hands with me leaving me in the lurch! I am so dissapointed with RAC!

Michael brown

Thanks maria VW. Its horrible the whole RAC experience has been horrible and heartbreaking for me and my family! Its made me want to Kill myself its been so bad!

Quote Originally Posted by mariaVW View Post
    Just read through you're story and all i can say is Wow that is absolutely disgusting how you have been messed about. Sorry to hear it.