Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vauxhall Astra 1.7 diesel 1999 - Astra diesel wont run..........

Default Vauxhall Astra 1.7 diesel 1999 - Astra diesel wont run..........

I'm hoping we have some GM experts out there...

I have a 99 1.7 turbo diesel Astra. (Vauxhall engine). The car came to me about 200 miles ago with a receipt for a fuel pump for over 700 ! just a few months before I got it.

The car has run exceptionally well until it started missing the odd beat....this became more frequent until it stopped altogether, and now wont go at all. There appears to be no fuel reaching the pump, but it seems unlikely to be a pump issue in light of the money recently spent. I read on-line of a bod with similar symptoms, who said it was a dry joint in the ecu, and advised me to pop it open and check for some burning inside.

At a glance, I can't see an ecu......any thoughts guys?

All help much appreciated.

Ecu is located at the back of the engine easy enough to remove when pop the back off you will see the dry joint its about centre of the ecu ive done a few of these at the roadside

Miss breakdown

Thank you very much for your response....but I can't see the ecu. Can you be a little more precise on the location please. Someone told me it is in the skuttle panel.....

The fella came along with the diagnostic software, which showed that the fuel cut off solenoid in the pump is working ok.....he thought that was most likely the problem, but his screen came up with "catastrophic system failure", and he is currently trying to determine what that means. The pump is not turning when we crank the engine, I think if push comes to shove, I may take the ecu/edu, whatever it's called......off the pump and send it for a refurb. Peeps on ebay offering the service for 40 or so, so no big gamble there.

If the pump doesnt turn when cranking the engine then you have a snapped belt which doesnt make sense reading your first post.

Miss breakdown

I'm not going to pretend I understand the mysteries of the diesel fuel system, but the belt is definitely not snapped. I don't comprehend why the pump is mechanically driven, and yet doesn't work when the electrics go bad? My diagnostic fella told me the pump was not turning, but the shut off solenoid that frequently fails is working fine. I am waiting for him to give me a definitive answer as to the cause of the failure, but I feel inclined to remove the EDU myself, and speculate the cost of having it refurbed. There are a number of companies listed on Ebay, and quoting prices around 30-40 quid, which is worth the gamble......but the first one I contacted, only repairs the later Isuzu style unit, (pump behind the engine). I found another, which is based in Poland, and charges around 150 euros.
    Can anyone recommend a UK repairer who charges sensible rates?
    Your help is much appreciated guys........

http://www.ecutesting.com/vauxhall_c..._failures.html

give these a try, im not sure what you mean by pump not turning either but as said if its not a snapped belt then it must be a snapped pump shaft/keyway

Thanks Pantera......perhaps he said, "not pumping".....anyway, I have emailed ecutesting.
    Thanks again...

ECU testing want 250 plus vat, plus postage.......wow, that's dear !
    Found a bloke on Ebay wants 110 all in, to mend it, but on the phone he didn't inspire me with confidence.
    How hard can it be? I tracked down a breaker who said I could have the whole pump for 60.....but his pump was different to mine, when I got there.
    Anyone got any suggestions?
    Just to recap....it's a 99 Astra 1.7, with the Vauxhall engine and Bosch pump. The pump is on the front of the engine, (some are on the rear), and the module on top of the pump has one large block connector, and 4 black wires which need to be cut when removing the module with the pump in situ. I have been told that this unit is not coded to the car. This pump is common to a number of models, so I would assume there is a demand for repair of the module...I just need to find a repairer at a sensible cost. The module has a bar code and part number on it .....0281 010 888 134401 781 082. your help is appreciated guys.

If the belt is not broken, but the pump is not turning, I would investigate that. The ECU does not control any aspect of the mechanical drive to the pump. I would however believe that the pump is turning, but not delivering fuel. I suggest removing the stop solenoid, temporarily removing the valve needle, refitting the solenoid, and see if fuel is delivered.