Thread: Charged to change details and get home.

Exclamation Charged to change details and get home.

On Friday 30th August, our car broke down at Corley Services. I called the RAC, whereupon I was told that I would have to pay an admin charge of 25 because my vehicle had changed. I questioned this as I am sure I had already informed the RAC of changing vehicle over a year ago. Further to that, my address had not been updated since I moved - again, something I believe that I have informed the RAC of.

Having paid the 25 admin charge to get the service I have spent a couple of years paying for (and not using until now), I was told that the car would have to be towed. As we would get 10 miles free, the cost to our final destination would cost 109. I had no idea there would be a cost involved to take our car home.

So, I had to pay that too. An hour later, another driver turns up and assesses the vehicle again. We are puzzled by this. Then the driver takes my wife and daughter to the destination. Another hour passes, and the towing van arrives, and the car is finally towed home.

So I ended up paying out 134 to get my car home.

Why would I have to pay these costs when I signed up for full recovery?

Exploited in moment of need. Unimpressed.

Will be cancelling membership asap.

I am puzzled by this: Surely - RAC membership applies to an individual and not to a car - at least that is what I always understood. The only exception I know of is for the cover we took out to include our daughter who was not living with us. That applied to her car and not to her.

The ten mile rule applies to standard membership. If you paid for 'relay' then you should have been taken home.

The problem is that the RAC advertise that they offer a wonderful service for a low price. This is the basic and, frankly, not very useful, cover. To make it worthwhile one needs to add many extras such as relay and home start.

Suborno, Write to them with a complaint and request that they refund the 25.00.

Also request them to track down the operator and check whether he or she requires further training in "customer Care"

Thank you both. I am really disappointed with the service (though they did get us home). All these hidden extras really should be far more transparent on sign-up. I've dropped Customer Service a complaint, but judging by the forum, I'm not expecting much of a response.

Cheers.

Suborno
    I am sorry that you are disappointed with our service.
    Our records show that you chose to enrol on a vehicle based only policy. When you called for assistance on this occasion you did not have your membership card with you and we initially had problems tracing your cover as you had moved home address. When you gave the registration number of the vehicle that had broken down, you were advised that it wasnt covered. But we agreed to provide assistance if you paid a 25 admin charge to amend your policy. You were also advised that you would only be eligible for a 10 mile tow as you were amending your policy whilst in a breakdown situation. You were made fully aware of your entitlement and any costs prior to proceeding with our service.
    Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Operations Exec View Post
    Suborno
    I am sorry that you are disappointed with our service.
    Our records show that you chose to enrol on a vehicle based only policy. When you called for assistance on this occasion you did not have your membership card with you and we initially had problems tracing your cover as you had moved home address. When you gave the registration number of the vehicle that had broken down, you were advised that it wasnt covered. But we agreed to provide assistance if you paid a 25 admin charge to amend your policy. You were also advised that you would only be eligible for a 10 mile tow as you were amending your policy whilst in a breakdown situation. You were made fully aware of your entitlement and any costs prior to proceeding with our service.
    Angela
    Hi, Angela.

I'm really sorry I didn't have my membership card on me at the time of breakdown, and caused the RAC a few problems locating my details. I'm also very sorry that I moved house, chose the wrong policy, and dared to call for assistance.

About the time I called you before this incident - do you have that on your records? Why wasn't I charged for a change of address then seeing as it was only a couple of weeks ago and I moved four months back? Why wasn't I told my vehicle (which I've had for over a year now) wasn't covered at that point? You could tell me I didn't have Home Start, but not that I wasn't covered. Doesn't that seem odd?

You're right, I was made fully aware of my entitlement and all costs prior to proceeding with the service. I was incredibly distressed at the time, so I honestly appreciated the extra financial pressure. Interesting that I get a Forum response before getting an email response, though I suspect one similarly passive-aggressive piece of rhetoric will be heading my way.

Thanks for all your help, Angela. You've been really helpful and totally lovely.

Have a great day.

Angela can't be rude, but I can.

You chose to take out the cheapest possible cover. You should have been aware at the time what you were buying, although, judging by your posts, you were not.

So you took the cheapo cover, changed your car and moved, all without informing them, and then you complain bitterly and make sarcastic comments when it all goes predictably wrong.

When you look at taking up recovery insurance with another supplier, I suggest that you study the terms and conditions thoroughly to be sure that you get the cover you need.

Addendum: I just re-read your post in which you say "I was incredibly distressed at the time." You were broken down while safely parked on a motorway service area - why the incredible distress?
    Last edited by Santa; 02-09-13 at 12:38.

If any of my circumstances change with any agreement I have with any company, my first reaction is to phone and tell them. I also ask for them to confirm changes in writing. So far, not one of the companies I deal with has refused to do this. If they did I would question their reason, and possibly cease dealing with that company. This was brought about because a company I had vehicle insurance with some years ago went bust. My Policy was transferred to another company unbeknownst to me until I received a renewal notice. I accept that the Policy was transferred in my interest, but it is my experience that some companies become too big and forget about their 'customers', and cease to act in their best interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    If any of my circumstances change with any agreement I have with any company, my first reaction is to phone and tell them. I also ask for them to confirm changes in writing. So far, not one of the companies I deal with has refused to do this. If they did I would question their reason, and possibly cease dealing with that company. This was brought about because a company I had vehicle insurance with some years ago went bust. My Policy was transferred to another company unbeknownst to me until I received a renewal notice. I accept that the Policy was transferred in my interest, but it is my experience that some companies become too big and forget about their 'customers', and cease to act in their best interest.
    I did call and tell them, but I had no written response. So I have no proof of ever having done this. A shame, really.