Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Refused to attend

Default Refused to attend

Our car broke down on a busy roundabout but in spite of having the best cover the RAC refused to send an engineer saying that it was too dangerous.This in spite of the fact that we know that both RAC and AA vans are frequently seen to be recovering vehicles at this spot.A second call received the same answer leaving us in a state of disbelief.Are we to suppose that unless you break down on a quiet suburban street you will receive no help.
    We were advised on both calls to contact the police to move the car which we did and they called in a contractor at a cost of 250 which we had to pay on the spot.
    Surely one would expect that since we have full breakdown cover and since we followed the advice given, then the RAC would pay the removal fee.They have however refused to do so.
    My advise is therefore to not break down where it is busy or to change to another company which after more than 20 years with them is what we will now do.

I would have refused to pay the 250.00

Did the police inform you that there would be a charge?

At the time when the recovery was in progress our assumption was that this was all covered by our policy.The car was then taken to a secure lock up and it was only then that a charge was demanded.We were unable to get the car back until payment was made.
    One wonders what would have happened if we had no way to pay
    I might add that the recovery people had no problem in loading the car in spite of the traffic and so why was it any more dangerous for the RAC

Send the bill to the RAC and ask for a refund. Failing that tell them that you wish to taske them to the Small Claims Court

Well patrols have to attend on the motorways which I think is far more of a danger,being sucked in by the slipstream of hgv`s when doing a wheel change on the off side

Quote Originally Posted by Stunned View Post
    Our car broke down on a busy roundabout but in spite of having the best cover the RAC refused to send an engineer saying that it was too dangerous.This in spite of the fact that we know that both RAC and AA vans are frequently seen to be recovering vehicles at this spot.A second call received the same answer leaving us in a state of disbelief.Are we to suppose that unless you break down on a quiet suburban street you will receive no help.
    We were advised on both calls to contact the police to move the car which we did and they called in a contractor at a cost of 250 which we had to pay on the spot.
    Surely one would expect that since we have full breakdown cover and since we followed the advice given, then the RAC would pay the removal fee.They have however refused to do so.
    My advise is therefore to not break down where it is busy or to change to another company which after more than 20 years with them is what we will now do.
    were you getting shot at, at the time? how are the police supposed to recover it, they use agents such as the rac what would of happened if the police asked the rac to move it?

This sounds like more of this Health & Safety cr*p to me.

I would contact the complaints department of the RAC, in writing, giving just the amount of information, so they can understand your complaint, good luck.

stunned
    I understand that your wife broke down on the M40 Jct 4 roundabout and was blocking the traffic? She was advised to call the Police for her safety and for that of other motorists. I cant comment on the charges that their agent levied or their actions. But I have asked that the matter be reviewed by a colleague who will contact you directly in due course.
    Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Operations Exec View Post
    stunned
    I understand that your wife broke down on the M40 Jct 4 roundabout and was blocking the traffic? She was advised to call the Police for her safety and for that of other motorists. I cant comment on the charges that their agent levied or their actions. But I have asked that the matter be reviewed by a colleague who will contact you directly in due course.
    Angela

good fast response there

Quote Originally Posted by tomr10 View Post
    were you getting shot at, at the time? how are the police supposed to recover it, they use agents such as the rac what would of happened if the police asked the rac to move it?
    If the police were driving a Land Rover derivative, then in an emergency they could have towed it themselves to a place of safety.

The Mersey Tunnels Police have Land Rover Discoveries for that very purpose.