Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Car

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Dennis, define 'best. If I wanted a draughty, uncomfortable, slow, fuel drinking overweight workhorse, or if I had the need to cross a muddy field with a 4-ton trailer, I would probably agree. Fortunately, I have never had the need to cross a muddy field with a 4-ton trailer since leaving the Army. (Although, to be fair, I never had the need then, I was just told I had to do it.) (I leave to the Land Rover afficianados to identify which model the Army was using from the mid-60s to early 70s.)
    If you have a Land Rover you can give assistance to other drivers who have accidentally "gone off road" by falling into a ditch or something. Some years ago now, there was a Mercedes in a ditch by the side of the road, a police Astra had arrived on the scene, and the PC was scratching his head, not knowing what to do. I stopped and offered to help. I just hitched up a tow rope, the PC stopped the traffic, and I just pulled the big heavy Merc out. I think the Merc driver offered me 10.00 for my trouble.

Dennis, I have pulled probably heavier vehicles from ditches with hand winch and pulley carried in the boot. (I only carry it when snow or ice on the road, and I am using the lanes.)