Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time buyer, car needed for long commute

Question First time buyer, car needed for long commute

Hiya, I'm new to this forum and pretty new to cars in general. I'm 24 years old and I need to buy a car for a 40 mile commute (so that's 80 miles daily) from Manchester to Preston and then back again. Most of the commute will be on the motorway so I'll be needing a car that can handle long distance travel, but I also want quite a small car with good mpg, low tax and is reasonably cheap to run. The Toyota Aygo was a possibility but I think it may be that little bit too small for such a long daily commute.

I would greatly appreciate any advice!

EDIT: I'm aiming to get a second-hand car. I don't really have enough cash for anything new, heh.
    Last edited by Tarantulola; 15-07-13 at 13:28.

Vauxhall Corsa. I have seen New Pre registered Corsas for sale in Chester with a discount of 6000 recently.

Welcome to the site Tarantulola, how about a Nissan Micra, I've owned two of them over the years, and found them really comfortable, spacious inside, and cheap to run.

I used to do a 250 mile run to get home for the weekends in one of them, and it used to cruise at 70 on the motorway no problem, good luck.

I think a commute like that warrants a little diesel - it'll save money on tax and also mpg.

Ideas would be a Corsa/Grande punto 1.3cdti

Maybe even a Peugeot 207 1.4 hdi or something?

Just avoid anything exotic- GTI, XR, Sport, all these add up to more costs. Spare parts for unusual cars are more expensive and harder to get. Stick to mainstream and think about who will look after it when it's yours.

Before you commit, get a quote for the insurance (put your mum or dad on as a named driver - it can reduce the premium). Do not buy an extended warranty. Do not pay the asking price. Consider carefully the cost of borrowing the money to pay for the car. Add up all the costs, interest, arrangement fees, and calculate the total cost of the car.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I have a bit more of a budget now as my parents have kindly agreed to provide some of the funds for buying it. I hear the Vauxhall Corsa (and Vauxhalls in general) tend to break down quite a lot - though my knowledge is based on just what my friends say. Any more suggestions would be grand, thanks!

What Car on the Vauxhall Corsa:
    For The Vauxhall Corsa is refined, comfortable and pretty good to drive. Running costs are affordable, the cabin is spacious and there's a warranty that could last a lifetime.

Against Resale values are poor and the bulky windscreen pillars obscure your view. The smaller engines are short of motorway pace.
    I am a confirmed Ford man. I would be looking for a Focus, or possibly a Fiesta. But that, like your friends, is just opinion.

What Car? says 5 out of 5 stars
    For Nothing else in this class can match the Ford Focus for handling. It’s well equipped across the range, and used cars can be found at an attractive price.

Against Rear legroom isn’t as generous as rivals' and some of the interior plastics feel cheap.

Verdict This version of the Ford Focus continues the model's tradition as one of the best used-buys on the market. It’s now classier and comes with more kit, but is just as good to drive.

Go for… 1.6T 148bhp

Avoid… 2.0-litre diesel 161bhp

Before you buy a car you should research it on a reputable site like honest john (don;t know if I'm allowed to say that on here - feel free to remove editor). That will tell you the overall quality of the car, reliability etc - do not just go on what other people are saying. Make a list of the cars that are reliable and within budget. Then check the insurance prices of each. That would be a decent strategy.

My wife and I both have long commutes. My wife does 120miles/day. She had an old banger so when it died we looked around a lot. We ended up with a pretty new VW Polo BlueMotion. She loves it. Through her work she was able to test drive quite a few small diesel's and this came out on top. Another option we looked at was the Kia Rio, which also rated well. The third choice was the Fiesta. I would avoid the Ka (too small), the Mitsubishi Mirage, the Peugeot's and the Vauxhall's! Motorways can be dangerous so go for safety!

Actually you don't really need to look for a smaller car, there are plenty larger cars that give really good Mpg, even some petrol ones,