Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your opinions: How has driving behaviour changed?

I have been driving for almost 40 years, longer if you cound motor bikes. My driving has become slower and more gentle in recent years, mainly due to the cost of fuel and environmental issues. I think drivers have become far less patient over this time and few seem to learn anything over the years, their driving often getting worse, not better! Far too may drivers drive too close behind, that is my main concern. We need to educate people to drive intelligently, instead of insisting on them robotically following speed limits - too many hit the brakes hard when entering a 30 limit instead of slowing gradually, which is dangerous, totally pointles and wasteful of fuel. We should be watching the road and driving to the coditions, NOT constantly watching the speedo and sticking to some theoretically 'safe' speed.

I have been driving for about 18 years. My driving behaviour has improved I think. This is an age thing. I tend to drive what I believe to be more safely and perhaps a bit more courteously. In general I don't think driving behaviour has changed. I think we all like the myth that things always get worse and see the past through rose-tinted spectacles.

• How long have you been a driver?

I've been driving for 8 years now, since I was 17.

• How has your driving behaviour changed since you started driving?

I've also got my bike license since I started driving, so this has made me MUCH more cautious about checking my blind spots for bikers! I also tend to drive on automatic now (sometimes I'm in such a daze) and I've totally given up trying to Parallel park! I'd rather park further away and walk, than faff about trying to get into a parallel space! Hehe!

• …and how do you think the driving behaviour of other motorists has changed since you started driving?

Since I got my little sports car, I've found boy racers and middle-aged women driving Audi's seem to want to race me! I also get cut up way more than I did in my old Skoda! Overall though I don't think other people's driving has got better or worse!

I have been driving since I was 40 when I passed my 5th test. I think it made me a better driver not passing for all that time, I became so much more aware of things because of that, so in a way I was pleased! Althought it seemed to take forever to pass of course!
    I think the standard of driving has deteriorated since then (nearly 26 years) and I think people are selfish on the roads, especially to women drivers!
    Actually being with the RAC for my insurance gives me confidence in times of crisis, as anything could happen at any time on the roads nowadays, and frequently does.
    I do not know when I will have to give up driving, but I do need to get to the shops for necessary food etc, and can't really be without a car where I live.
    I do not think my driving behaviour has changed in many ways, only that I am always more cautious now than ever, fully aware that I am not the only one on the road with what could be a lethal weapon, as I feel safety is paramount, and cannot understand how some drivers, youngsters especially, still drive about with no seat belts on, and using mobile phones! Do they think they are exempt, or just immortal, they must feel invunerable! I want to shake them sometimes, and show them that death could be round the next corner!
    I also hate driving on motorways, and will not do so unless I really had, it seems to be every man or woman for themselves on those roads, with no regard to other drivers or the speed limits.
    Driving is no longer the pleasure it used to be, that's for sure!

I have been driving since I was 40 when I passed my 5th test. I think it made me a better driver not passing for all that time, I became so much more aware of things because of that, so in a way I was pleased! Althought it seemed to take forever to pass of course!
    I think the standard of driving has deteriorated since then (nearly 26 years) and I think people are selfish on the roads, especially to women drivers!
    Actually being with the RAC for my insurance gives me confidence in times of crisis, as anything could happen at any time on the roads nowadays, and frequently does.
    I do not know when I will have to give up driving, but I do need to get to the shops for necessary food etc, and can't really be without a car where I live.
    I do not think my driving behaviour has changed in many ways, only that I am always more cautious now than ever, fully aware that I am not the only one on the road with what could be a lethal weapon, as I feel safety is paramount, and cannot understand how some drivers, youngsters especially, still drive about with no seat belts on, and using mobile phones! Do they think they are exempt, or just immortal, they must feel invunerable! I want to shake them sometimes, and show them that death could be round the next corner!
    I also hate driving on motorways, and will not do so unless I really had, it seems to be every man or woman for themselves on those roads, with no regard to other drivers or the speed limits.
    Driving is no longer the pleasure it used to be, that's for sure!

Welcome to the site Littlecjx & Chumbeline (you seem to have double posted? ).... hope you both stay around and get involved on other threads in here, good luck

Technically I've only been a fully qualified driver since last December and have not had a vast amount of experience. I was always a careful driver and have not changed in that respect - whilst I have become more confident in my own ability, it hasn't led me to be rash. As it's so recent, I haven't noticed any change in the behaviour of other motorists!

Default so

The RAC will has published our annual Report on Motoring and we’d like to get your opinions on a few hot topics…

• How long have you been a driver? About 10 years
    • How has your driving behaviour changed since you started driving? Drive much slower, avoid motorways
    • …and how do you think the driving behaviour of other motorists has changed since you started driving? Everyone a bit more blase - no seatbelts, talking on phones, not indicating etc. Worse than it was.

I've been driving since 1998. I don't think my drivings changed at all. I notice these days people don't indicate anymore. Even followed a driving school car which was allowing the driver not to indicate. Around three o'clock the road fills with people fetching kids from school. The result of allowing people the freedom of going to schools outside of the catchment area. Soon after I passed my test I would go out at 10.00am to shop etc. as the road was very quiet after school run was over, not so quiet these days though.

I first learnt to drive whilst stationed in Cyprus, which meant that I had to take my driving test in the UK when I returned here.
    At first i didn't let anything bother me, but as I have got older, the boy racers around gets me agitated. You know when they can see that the road narrows, but they have JUST get passed you. Then they get agitated because they don't know any different.

Does anyone know where I can get a new crystal ball please? The new breed of driver (No Brains) assumes that all the other drivers knows where the no brainer is going, therefore he/she doesn't have to signal/indicate their intentions.
    Also when waiting to turn right into a side road, the number of no brainer's who can't think to slow down a little to give you time to turn. They would rather stop across your turning and then look amazed when they suddenly see you in the middle of the road waiting to turn.