Thread: DVLA make millions from selling drivers details

Default DVLA make millions from selling drivers details

Last year the DVLA made 10.4 million from selling drivers details, an increase of up to 8 million on previous years. The agency sold the details at a rate of around 50,000 a week, totalling 2.4 million in a year. Details are sold to approved companies that give out parking fines and clamp cars. Some of the companies the DVLA has allowed to buy details have been criticised for using heavy handed tactics with drivers to ensure fines are paid. MP Graham Stringer, who is on the Commons Transport Select Committee, said; "I do think some of the firms buying the DVLA's information are crooks, and certainly in the past they have used violent and threatening behaviour, and I don't think that is the right thing for the DVLA to be doing. Even when firms are approved there is no proper way of examining them. This is wrong and improper use of people's private information."

In 2012, over 20 companies were banned from accessing the DVLAs database to find driver details due to breaches in how fines were issued. A DVLA spokesman said: "Information is only provided under strict controls. If it is brought to our attention that a company does not meet necessary standards, we will investigate. If allegations are proven we will stop the release of keeper information to them. We do not make a profit on this service the fee merely covers the cost of processing applications."

What are your thoughts on the DVLA selling drivers details?
    Read the full article here

My first concern is, What does "accessing the DVLA database" actually mean? How much of the information available to the DVLA on their dtabase can be accessed by those who pay the fee(?) and are given access facilities?
    For example, I pay for my tax disc and driving licence renewal on line, which means that there could be my bank details on record.
    I find it difficult to believe that the DVLA do not make a profit from this provision of access - what other motive would they have to give drivers' details to private companies? How can they manage (or bother) to monitor how the information is limited to 'legitimate use', and not be passed on by shady/criminally known employees within a company?
    Why cannot it be a requirement that any of these companies have to approach the police to obtain any needed information, and the disclosures logged? Time and inconvenience? - not an excuse where personal security is involved.
    Joe Public is entitled to the same level of security in his/her personal details as is the Prime Minister.

Some years ago when we had LVLOs, I paid a fee to find the owner of a car which I had the reg no of. I had to fill out a form stating why I wanted the information, and was told the fee was purely an administrative one to deter people from requesting information on a whim, or a reason which did not fit within their guidelines. (The guidelines, I believe, were based on a legal issue.) I saw no problem with this, and still don't. Sometimes there is a genuine need for owner info. There is no justifiable reason to pass on any information except on an individual basis, without a real necessity. To hand over info on a mercenary basis is just wrong, and should be stopped.

Snowball, the points that you make are very good and deserve a reply from someone in authority at the DVLA. Doubt if you will get an answer even if you asked directly. What puzzles me also is WHO decided that people's personal data could be offered for sale in the first place. If I found out some personal data about you, and then sold it on, surely I would end up in court because disclosure of personal data belonging to others is an offence under the Data Protection Act ?
    The data on us held by the DVLA is there because we have to supply it (no option) plus any, that you point out, that they may also pick up (bank details etc). Other information that we must supply to government agencies such as the census is depersonalised before it is sold on and gets around the Data Protection Act, but the DVLA does not do this. Why are they allowed to do this ???

Quote Originally Posted by Old Amos View Post
    Snowball, the points that you make are very good and deserve a reply from someone in authority at the DVLA. Doubt if you will get an answer even if you asked directly. What puzzles me also is WHO decided that people's personal data could be offered for sale in the first place. If I found out some personal data about you, and then sold it on, surely I would end up in court because disclosure of personal data belonging to others is an offence under the Data Protection Act ?
    The data on us held by the DVLA is there because we have to supply it (no option) plus any, that you point out, that they may also pick up (bank details etc). Other information that we must supply to government agencies such as the census is depersonalised before it is sold on and gets around the Data Protection Act, but the DVLA does not do this. Why are they allowed to do this ???
    All of these questions are answered at http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/data.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    All of these questions are answered at http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/data.aspx
    Thanks Beelzebub, it is very much the DVLA's view.
    I have not heard of anyone testing this against the protection of data act, I would guess it would be a finely balanced argument. The augment for use by the police and relevant government departments is ok but I feel it is wrong to supply information directly to private companies on demand.

DVLA must be stopped from selling owner details to dodgy parking charge companies.

What happens with lease companies, What is their policy with dodgy parking "penalty" parking charges like from Tesco?

They tend to pass them on to the lease.

Quote....."We do not make a profit on this service – the fee merely covers the cost of processing applications."

This quote is at the bottom of the paragraph which says that the DVLA earned 10.4 Million?

Seems a lot for
    "the cost of processing applications." don't you think