Thread: Breakdown

Thumbs down Breakdown

On last monday afternoon my engine exploded. It is a Mondeo V6 and a conrod went throu the side resulting in the car failing to progress (as they say) sounding like someone was hammering the engine, clouds of steam and oil smoke. The poor car is a right off and is only 6 years old. However when I eventually got through to the RAC all help was refused as it may have been caused by water getting into the inlet manifold as there was torrential rain with standing water. I was in the country, and rather stranded, partly blocking the road. I plead with the answer desk to no avail except for employing the RAC on a private basis but no time scale could be given. John

That seems pretty harsh. I would take it up with them officially.

The lesson, though, seems to be that one should not tell them more than they need to know. I suggest that had you simply reported that the engine had stopped working, they would have come out.

Geez! Santa, you make it sound harder than trying getting past the receptionist at a doctors surgery, when we phone to try and get an appointment

Funny:

As a general rule it is best to not self diagnose, whether it is a for a car or yourself.

If you take your car to a garage and say "I think the clutch is gone." You will get a new clutch, even though the actual problem might have been the gear linkage. If you phone the surgery and say "I think I have the flue," then you will be advised to drink plenty of water and take painkillers. If you say that you are suffering severe headaches and a high temperature you may get the same advice or you may actually get to see the doctor.