Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheeler Dealers on the telly

Default Wheeler Dealers on the telly

Anyone see this weeks edition of Wheeler Dealers with Mike Brewer and Ed China?

They bought a Jaguar XK8 to do up and give away as a prize in a competition they are running. They used a cleaning process they claimed would reduce the carbon build up in the fuel system components from the injector rail to the exhaust. They showed the CO emissions at 0.65% before cleaning and after they were still at 0.55% on an idling engine. The presenter Ed China said the limit was 2.5% so it was okay. Eh???

The MoT limit for idle is 0.5% so this car would fail an MoT test ( in any case on a good engine this value should be below 0.10%)

I cannot remember the hydrocarbon values but think they were around 500ppm before. I didn't notice the reading afterwards. The limit is less than 200ppm and I think this second reading may also be too high. So if you enter the competition expect to (possibly) fork out for some expensive cats at around 1,000.

The car had a running fault so Mr China (the expert ) connected his cheap little OBD reader and got code P0121 which related to the throttle. Then he decided he needed a more accurate diagnostic done so took it to the Jaguar dealer which came up with the same code, obviously, but without doing any checking. What was that about?

Amazingly poor example to the thousands of people who watch this and as its on the telly, it MUST be true.......

^
    Totally agree - I stopped watching these sort of programs long ago!
    Another good example (or should that be 'Bad example'?) is the amount of times they appear to be able to remove an old, rusted on track-rod end with just a squirt of WD40.....

Quote..."Anyone see this weeks edition of Wheeler Dealers with Mike Brewer and Ed China?"

I like the idea behind the program, but I don't like that "Dealer Bloke" he comes across as being that "crafty cockney" sort of thing, and the way he talks down to people. So that's why I never watch it, bad enough having to watch the previews of it?

I watched some of the early series and Ed China just seemed a cowboy to me. He might be an expert but, his not an expert in car repairs that is for sure. The one that sticks in my mind is the Suzuki Jeep they spent a fortune on and it had a rotten chassis if I remember correctly.

yes ive watched quite a few of these wheeler dealer shows, but ive noticed that they never mention the mileage of the vehicle at all, they also get a set of alloys refurbed and they come back with a new set of new tyre's on, but the cost of the new tyes is never mentioned

Typical of most (if not all) of these types of programmes. When the Top Gear programme once came under criticism, the BBC were quick to explain that it was a 'general interest' programme and none of the presenters claimed to have technical expertise in the field. Sums it up really, doesn't it?

Aye! Clarkson admitted on one episode of Top Gear that he never knew how the internal combustion engine worked?

The Difference is that Top Gear is known to be non specific on finer technical detail and to be generally a light hearted program with them clowning around.

Wheeler Dealers is different they are showing people how to fix things and giving incorrect information is not good.

And with Ed China now one of the producers too, don't think there will be much change.

You may all think motoring programs are bad but a series of 'Technical Films' were done buy a 'so-called' respected motoring lecturer/tech guru (call him what you like!) called Frank Massey - if you ever saw the Film he did on 'servicing brakes' in conjuction with Ferodo you would be shocked!
    At one point he has calipers dangling on their hose with no support and in another shot you see his son cleaning up the 'bridge' of a caliper in a vice - the vice is tightened up 'good an' 'ard agaist the caliper component and if ever it was something like a 'red enameled' caliper such as produced by Brembo then the paint finish would surely be ruined!
    But what really did it for me was stating "sometimes alloy wheels can become carroded to the hub" ... and so they decide to thrash the alloy of the hub with a big 'ammer!