Thread: European Breakdown Cover, French prices

Default European Breakdown Cover, French prices

I hav e a Hyundai Sante Fe which has only done 26000 miles, I decided to go abroad with my family and as I am a RAC member and have had great service from them I decided to get my european breakdown cover with them

Unfortunately my car broke down, I was at a toll booth and for what ever reason it would not drive forward, I could get into reverse fine but nothing forward.

The RAC sorted everything out and picked and got me to my hotel, sorted out a hire car and I was able to carry on with my holiday. At this time I asked them to send my car to Hyundai and was told this would be done.

Then I started getting reports back about what is wrong with my car and how much it would cost to repair it. The first quote was for 10,000 euros, I then found out that my car had not been sent to a Hyundai dealership but a normal garage. This being the case I asked for it to be sent to a Hyundai dealer as I originally asked, the quote from them came to 7176 euros. At this point it was agreed between myself and RAC that repatriation would be the only option, this does not look as if it is going to be as easy either as I am being told that they are getting high quote for my car to be repatriated to England as the car will not drive forward, if the car could drive forward I would not have started this whole thing off, if any car could drive forward it would not need to be repatriated............................ they also said it could not be rolled forward, even though the original breakdown truck managed to get the car onto his flatbed so I do not understand.

My car (Which I have just found) out ran out of warranty 5 days before any of this happened I have phoned up Hyundai in England and they are waiting for the car I just need to get it there..........

Does anyone on here know how much a new gearbox on a Hyundai Santa Fe 07 plate would cost?

At a guess, un bras et une jambe.

Sorry ...

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    At a guess, un bras et une jambe.

Sorry ...
    If I knew what this meant then I might be able to reply...................

Further to above I am now back in England without my car which should be back at my dealers by the 27th. After further discussions with the RAC and after a lot of people telling me different things I asked for a complete rundown of the file relating to my case.

I have done this for several reasons but mainly so that I can get a clear picture of everything that has happened and how the repair quote to my car has been assessed.

First I asked for a copy of the official repair quote from the garage where my car has been assessed and also a copy of the diagnostic report so that I can send all this to my local dealership. I had to ask for this about 6 times and then got the following email..

Hello,

Seeing that the repatriation of your vehicle has been agreed on the garage did not do a complete diagnosis so there are no concret costs for the repairs or what is exactly wrong with your vehicle on the file. The garage is not going to look further into the vehicle's problem. This is information that you will get from your garage in the UK.

Considering that the diagnosis has not taken place how can any garage state that the car actually needs a new gearbox when it could be something as simple as just resetting the computer that runs the gearbox.............

After finding this out I phoned the RAC Customer Complaints and again asked for the complete file relating to my case, this I did 4 days ago and have not heard anything since.

The first bit means an arm and a leg.

If yours is an auto box and it can get reverse and drive, the problem may not be as serious as you have been told. It could be a selector switch which tells the ecu which gear you have chosen or it could be a number of other things. When abroad, it is likely the mindset of the local garage to think they have a captive customer who will agree to just about anything. I also suspect a lot of garages do NOT have the diagnostic equipment to read the ecu on your car anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    The first bit means an arm and a leg.

If yours is an auto box and it can get reverse and drive, the problem may not be as serious as you have been told. It could be a selector switch which tells the ecu which gear you have chosen or it could be a number of other things. When abroad, it is likely the mindset of the local garage to think they have a captive customer who will agree to just about anything. I also suspect a lot of garages do NOT have the diagnostic equipment to read the ecu on your car anyway.
    I would agree with you but you would think that since I asked for it to be sent to a Hyundai dealership that they would have this equipment