Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the forum "log in" playing up?

Default Why is the forum "log in" playing up?

Happened a few times now.
    Even though I have ticked the box REMEMBER ME, I have to sign in every time I visit the forum. By itself, this isn't a problem to get excited about.
    BUT, what is very vexing is that (again) I have entered a post in reply to a thread, only for it to again ask for me to log in - the real annoyance being that all my post has been lost.
    One thing that I think I noticed on this occasion was that the menu bar ( B / I / U etc.), was blank.

Smowball, try coming in on a fresh link, like type "RAC Forum log in" into Google, that will take you to a page of links click on the top one.

It could be a corrupt cookie that's causing it, and that will by pass it.

Thanks for that, smudger. I have also deleted the old link from my 'favourites' list and replaced it with the new one. Will that avoid any problems if a corrupt cookie is the cause?

We'll also look into this, as I had an issue with it yesterday. I SUSPECT it might be to do with people going to rac.co.uk/forum/ rather than www.rac.co.uk/forum/ - but can't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
    We'll also look into this, as I had an issue with it yesterday. I SUSPECT it might be to do with people going to rac.co.uk/forum/ rather than www.rac.co.uk/forum/ - but can't be sure.
    Mike, initially I entered the website using the full URL, then added it to my 'Favourites' for future entry. There has been no problem until recently.

In the last few minutes it has done it again; in this case when I switched to another web page and then back again. This also is a recent occurrence.
    What I have noticed is, when this is going to happen, the bottom line only has Reply with quote showing, and not the Reply with the 'return arrow' symbol.
    Repeat logging-in is then required.
    A good guide to avoid typing a reply that will be uselessly lost; especially if it is a long one!

For what it's worth, the bookmark I'm using here (in Chrome) is http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/ and I'm not having that problem. We'll investigate this properly tomorrow, though! If your bookmark has no www - it would best to update it.

Try Logging out, which may clear and delete ALL the current Cookies. Then you can make a fresh start.

Has been fixed yet Snowball?

Just talked to our technical guys, and they're agreeing that you need to be going to www.rac.co.uk/forum/ for now - if you miss the www you might run into login issue. We're investigating.

A short while ago I powered up my computer from its 'sleep' status, and refreshed the screen. I had to login again to actually obtain the 'posting' facility. Reading post #9, I closed the web page and reentered using the advised link. I gained immediate access to post without having to login. So it appears that going in via my 'Favourites' is part of my problem, although this is only recent. I haven't yet tried what happens if I refresh again.