Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW Polo 'no key' warning message

Default VW Polo 'no key' warning message

Hi I have a 2011 (11 plate) VW Polo. I came to leave work on Monday, put the key in the ignition and found my car wouldnt start and the digital display showed the message 'no key'. The key was definately in but wouldnt start the car.

The car was parked in direct sunlight and it was around 22 degrees C.

When i removed the key from the ignition the metal section of the key was boiling hot to touch, as was most of the underneath of the steering wheel in the car.

Its been at the VW dealership for the past 3 days with no answers from them as to what is wrong with it. No errors on the diagnostics and nothing else.

This has happened before when the car was about 2 months old and all the dealership did was reset the keys.

The only way to get it to start when it does this is to leave the doors open for a while and it eventually starts.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter or has anyone had this happen to them?

Thank you
    CLaire

Sounds like the coil round the igntion barrel that picks up the signal from the key is getting hot and breaking down if you open the door this is cooling the interior down hence it will then start

Miss breakdown

is it a simple fix?

In theory changing the pick up coil should cure it

Miss breakdown

thanks very much - il mention it to VW as they still have my car after 3 days (and no fix)

If you have a spare key, put it in the fridge. Then when the car shows 'no key' swap them over and try the cold key in case heat is breaking down the chip inside the key.

The first time it happened I tried the spare straight away but it made no difference

I think they should be replacing the immobiliser, the key reader and the keys. As VW will not pay out for parts fitted at random it looks like the dealer is trying to fix it on the cheap. i hope they have given you a courtesy car till yours is mended.

I think one of the problems is unless vw see it happen then they can't change the parts it won't throw a dtc as the system is acting correctly even though the car won't start

Miss breakdown

It's taken them 3 days and me asking for them to give me a courtesy car, they never asked if I wanted one. The customer service has been awful, I shall be complaining.
    They have someone looking at it from their head office tomoro but like u said if it doesn't happen for them they cant see It on the diagnostics

Hopefully tomoro I will get some proper answers and if I don't I shall be

Thank you for your suggestions hopefully they'll find something tomoro I miss my car