Thread: 1st time driver accident whos liable :(

Default 1st time driver accident whos liable :(

i was coming down a bendy road planning to turn right onto another road. The road had no markings to show where the road ended, So i stopped where it seemed like the road was ending. (not familiar with this particular area) i looked left and right with my indicators on to turn right.
    A car came towards the road i was planning to turn into quite fast and im assuming rhe other driver was thinking i was going to turn infront of her, so breaked then swirved at the same time i did in a panic.
    Her car crashed into mine and carried my car to the other side of the road causing damage to her from bumper and bonnet and damage to part of my driver door and the right drivers wing ( headlights and bent weel) i was uncontious for what seemed a few seconds. with an immediate headache and back pains feeling very dizzy. Ive followed all procedures to report the incident to my ins company.
    I crashed just outside a cul d sac but no residents came forward to support any of our claim. The other car was able to drive away but i had to wait for hours for a tow truck to arrive.
    By this time a car stopped to check if i was ok as they had seen the crash earlier but drove on. I took her details as she agreed that i did stop the car but saw i was hesitent on where to stop and turn and suggested the fact there was no clear markings was a possible reason and commented the other car panicked thinking i was going to carry on driving although i was stationary.
    Whats really worrying me is...
    1.car is undeclared cat d, will this hinder my claim
    2. Who seems liable and what are the processes
    3. Can i sue the council for no clear road markings for end of road and will this fact
    4. If i am liable, anything i can say or do to lessen costs.
    5. I am aware there are many bogus witness statements and ins companies scrutinise this, because my witness did not stop and testify immediately would the statement be deemed as suspicious as i told my ins company there was no witnesses at the time of incident, would this help my claim or not?
    Oh and in nov i got stopped for driving without ins as my policy got cancelled and i wasnt aware. Ive had no letters regarding this incident and they have mot requested my licence to put the points on. Because of this i did not declare my points on this policy, can they find out? If so will my arguement that i had no further instructions about the incident be taken in consideration?

I do not understand your explanation of the incident. You say you were stationary but braked and swerved in a panic. You are also not very clear about where the other car was approaching from.
    As to being stopped for driving with no insurance in Nov, if no action has been taken, you do not have to declaire. If you already had points on your licence and did not declare them, your Policy could be void.
    You need to talk to your insurer asap.

Aye! Rolebama I was thinking that as well, I thought it was just the way I read it, but it sounds like there is more than one issue there?

Maybe you could explain it in another way S.1505Sarah, welcome to the site by the way.

S.1505Sarah,
    I hope you have no long lasting injuries.

Rolebama (post #2) is making a valid point, you must let your insurers know about the point, they will find out anyway.

As to the crash, if you were waiting and signalling to turn right in a side road, not on the through road, the other driver would be at fault. If you were moving onto or had stopped on the through road then the blame will be shared.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I do not understand your explanation of the incident. You say you were stationary but braked and swerved in a panic. You are also not very clear about where the other car was approaching from.
    As to being stopped for driving with no insurance in Nov, if no action has been taken, you do not have to declaire. If you already had points on your licence and did not declare them, your Policy could be void.
    You need to talk to your insurer asap.
    Yeah the explanation i very poor and i cannot understand anything about the accident so not able http://www.publicliabilityinsurance.me.uk/ help i'm afraid until the circumstances have been cleared up!
    Last edited by LJ2012; 21-06-12 at 10:45.

No point really since this was posted in March. I suspect from my reading of it that sarah will be a pedestrian for some time to come and is fortunate that no one was injured.