Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focus 1.6 diesel problem

Default Focus 1.6 diesel problem

I have smoke coming from the top of the engine and a 'put put' noise from the same area. Sounds to me like a Stuck or broken exhaust valve, what do you think?

Welcome to the site Jondolar, I think the site Gurus will need a bit more information than that, like mileage on the clock, engine type (if turbo is fitted) that sort of stuff. Good luck

need to know the year but in general which will cover most is loose injector, glow plug or injector seal has failed signs of this are a litlle puff of smoke and maybe a slight misfire DO NOT DRIVE if its an injector seal you risk the car going up in flames!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miss breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by Jondolar View Post
    I have smoke coming from the top of the engine and a 'put put' noise from the same area. Sounds to me like a Stuck or broken exhaust valve, what do you think?
    http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthrea...u-MUST-include

Sorry for lack of info,
    Ford focus
    1.6 deisel
    basic model
    Smoke is coming from the gasket around the rocker cover. This does not affect the performance or running of the car at all.

Is it coming from the injector area if so refer to my other post

Miss breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by Jondolar View Post
    This does not affect the performance or running of the car at all.
    Ah, but it does. You lose compression so lose performance. You will need a set of 4 copper bottom washer seals, 4 support collars and 4 upper sealing rings. Cost around 40 from a Ford dealer. The injector seal that has failed will mean the injector will be very hard to remove due to carbon build up. Once repaired correctly, you will notice a better performance.

UPDATE - Took plastic maniflod off and replaced the rubber seals for it and put the plastic manifold back on but smoke still coming from around the manifold. Question is, should there be any exhaust gases from this area. I know the EGR valve puts gases back into this manifold for burning. I think the manifold itself may have a crack or the gases are just being forced back past the seals. Dreading taking of the anymore bits off if it means messing with the timing etc.

P.S. NEVER GOES WRONG IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER DOES IT

Reread mine and hometunes posts it's the injector seals not manifold seals

Miss breakdown

You HAVE to remove the injectors completely. The copper seals sit in the bottom of the recess where the injectors came out of. May be best to have a garage do this work unless you have a good selection of tools and equipment.

And of course, they never fail in summer as you say......