Thread: Breakdown cover whilst towing a caravan

Default Breakdown cover whilst towing a caravan

I have recently bought a second hand caravan and I am wondering if my current level of RAC membership (Roadside, Recovery, At Home & Accident Care) will cover me should my car break down whilst towing my caravan?

I telephoned the RAC a few days ago to be told "No, you need to join the Camping & Caravanning club to be covered". However, when I searched the RAC website, I found "Should the vehicle break down while towing a caravan or trailer, we shall recover your vehicle together with the caravan or trailer. If your trailer or caravan breaks down then we can arrange for the recovery of your trailer or caravan but you will be liable for the recovery costs.

We can only tow vehicles within the following criteria:

Caravans / Trailers
    Max Weight: 3.5 tonnes, Max Length: 7.6 meters (25ft) including tow bar, Max Width, 2.3 meters (7ft 6in)
    "

So which is correct? I am booked in at a caravan site at Blackpool in a few weeks time and would like to know what help, if any, I can expect should I have a breakdown during the journey. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Atlantean

I can confirm that what is stated on the wbsite is correct - you will be covered if your car breaks down whilst towing a caravan.

We just don't cover the caravan itself breaking down, that would need to be via the camping and caravanning club.

I hope this answers your query!

Thanks

Maxine
    Last edited by RAC Web Team; 21-09-11 at 16:53. Reason: spelling

Hi Maxine.

Many thanks for you help.

Rob

Go to the Camping and Caravanning Club club website, look under the 'Arrival' scheme and you'll see all the other benefits.

If you are a member of the Caravan Club, it is worth looking at the special offer by Green Flag. This is 'double journey' cover. Current cost is about 60. My towcar is covered by VW in association with the RAC, but I still keep this Green Flag cover as well.

If you're towing a caravan with VW assistance, you don't need to take cover out with Green Flag. This would benefit you if you drive other vehicles, but if you only have a VW I wouldn't bother wasting money.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewsan View Post
    If you're towing a caravan with VW assistance, you don't need to take cover out with Green Flag. This would benefit you if you drive other vehicles, but if you only have a VW I wouldn't bother wasting money.
    Not quite true, I'm afraid. In the event of a breakdown whilst towing a caravan, the only proviso in the VW T&C is that the caravan will be "taken to a place of saferty". This does not mean a secure situation.
    With the Green Flag cover, we can continue to our campsite, and then the car be taken for repair. We can enjoy the planned holiday and then, if the car cannot be repaired within the time of stay, Green Flag will then collect car and caravan and take us home. I could then have the car collected by our normal VW dealership service for repairs. This extra cover is by no means a waste of money. It means that the holiday can go ahead, and no loss of non-refundable deposit, which alone can be more than the annual Green Flag subscription.
    I should mention that my car is subject to a VW service and maintenance warranty, and the recovery factor is built-into the service.
    Last edited by Snowball; 06-03-12 at 15:14.